Im panicking, 12v charger help please

So here goes… im looking for help.
I have put this off too long and now its going to get cold in a day.
Im requesting a Private message from someone who can help. I will be giving you my number so you can call me because its hard to get everything out in text.

Im trying to get this heater running
VEVOR Diesel Heater 12V, 10L Tank, 5KW Diesel Air Heater, Fast Heating, Diesel Heater with LCD Switch & Remote Control for Truck, Boat, Trailer, Campervans and Caravans https://a.co/d/4bSjQ4O

I need the bare minimum to get that going.
DC to DC charger / batteries / fuses / wireing / system to monitor battery charge

My end goal is either:
12v battery charger from the alternator
Or
12v charger with the ability to add solar at a later date

What I need to talk about

Does this need a 50A fuse or something different?
Renogy 12V 40A DC to DC On-Board Battery Charger for Flooded, Gel, AGM, and Lithium, Using Multi-Stage Charging in RVs, Commercial Vehicles, Boats, Yachts, 40A https://a.co/d/7z8Zox5

How to know what gauge wire to use to what item.
Does too big of a wire (for safety) end up creating too much loss in the system?

Should i go with the 20A charger to prolong alternator life? It will cost me about a grand to replace it.

What size fuses?

I have alot more that pops into my brain off and on…
Please reach out. I am super desperate and willing to pay.

I am doing this all for my kitty that lives in the minivan with me.

Side notes:
2011 honda odyssey
I travel 6 sates (US) for work, some trips are 10 hours.
This last week i drove 3000+ miles, then this week its little half hore trips between jobs.
I can be away from my vehicle for hours at a time.
I need to know there is no risk of fire.
Financially i am doing okay.
I just need some direction so i dont waste what i have.

Please help me. Im begging you.
-Bob the Dinosaur

Thanks for reading

I will help you but need more info. Wire size usually works on amperage and fuses are the same. 40amp charger 40 amp fuse.Wire size is a bit different in DC voltage than AC. I’ll do my best to help from what I have learned. Typically you want to use #12 for 20 amp, #10 for 30 amp, #8 for 55amp. There are some variances for high amperage short term draws amd for really short runs. I have my 200amp inverter connected on a #4 and #6 for my 60 amp charge controller. They work great amd never get hot but I only draw about 60 amps max from the in we’re and the charge controller only puts out about 30-35 amps even though it’s auppoes to be 60amp. My 120v charge controller puts out 55 amps and it works great on a short run of #6, which is rated for 55 amps.
You can text me for more info if needed. I don’t know how to send a private message, you would have to initiate that. As far as your heater, you would need to follow directions and install it as the manufacturer directions suggest. If you need assistance understanding them, I can try to help if you send a copy.
I can tell you that 5,000 watts or 5kw on a 12 volt system is a lot of current, 416 amps to be exact. I am not familiar with your unit but those are likely the cooling wattages. Not load on a circuit. You wouldn’t be able to have enough batteries to even run that much power.

Your going to want to put that as close to the battery as possible. A normal electric space heater is usually only 1500 watts.

I can’t answer all your questions as I am unable to look at your post and reply at the same time.

I would be glad to help if you send me your phone number via private message.

1 Like

Anything electrical or fuel burning and all heaters have a certain amount of risk of fire. Your carrying a fuel tank of diesel fuel and creating hot fire to warm your camper. Definitely risk of fire. If you want lower risk use a propane tank and a propane heater and vent it outside. You won’t have enough battery to run an electric heater. Even that has risk if something flammable like a blanket is too close to the heating element or improper or faulting wiring.

So what you want to do is minimize your risk. You do this by how and where you mount the unit in your vehicle. Personally I would not want to carry around diesel fuel, that is very explosive if heated to a high temperature. Most RV’s use propane to minimize that risk. Plus propane is good to run a fridge and cook stove, which diesel is not.

Wire sizing has many variables and I would need to know all the details of your instillation to tell you exactly what size wire to use. I would guess, without having your manual, that the 12v needed to run this heater is for the diesel glow plug and is likely a 30 amp or similar? That is a guess you MUST know the exact amperage draw to wire it to your vehicle or battery and you do need a fuse between your battery and the appliance/ aka heater, if your not connecting it to an already fused circuit in your vehicle. If your connecting it to your vehicle circuit then you need to know what size fuse that circuit has, owners Manuel should tell you. For example the power supply that many vehicles have is likely ample to run that heater as it creates heat form burning diesel not using electric. Again, need more information to tell you for sure.

1 Like

As far as wire size, in electrical you can’t really use too large of a wire. The bigger the more current it will carry. That said, you can use too big of a wire for an appliance. Am appliance is anything you run on that circuit. A charge controller or battery charger or anything else with have connectors that will only accommodate a certain size range of wire. Each appliance or device is different. That information is found in the owners manual. So while you cant use too big of wire for electricity current carrying, you can use too big of wire for your device to connect.

Wire maximum size is more for balancing stereo speakers etc. When the ohms aka resistance, are important to keep at a specific number or in electronics.

You do also have a certain amount of voltage drop depending on how far you run the wire. This may require a larger wire to run an appliance. This typically isn’t an issue in an RV because the runs are short and nothing usually draws high current except for the chargers which are mounted close to the battery bank.

When your ready to do the solar, that’s a whole different thing. I can also help with that but need to know what equipment you have and panels ti have. You need to know panel voltage and wattage and charge controller voltage and wattage and limits of the controller for voltage and wattage etc.

If your not sure you should consult a licensed electrician. Electrical has a high risk of fire if not installed correctly. If you choose to continue on your own then always read and follow the owners manuals and manufacturer installation directions. They have already tested the appliances and know what it’s limitations are, well they are supposed to anyways. Whether they tell you all the information you need depends on if they like you or not.