Help With Wiring Diagram

hey guys! i posted in the newbie section earlier but thought id start this thread. quick background, I live in Whitehorse Yukon, Canada next to Alaska. this is my 28’ enclosed snow king that i use both summer and winter. summer/fall for hunting trips and winter for hunting/snowmobile trips. it has 3 bunk beds, a smaller propane furnace, a microwave, and some outlets. The previous owner did his own wiring in the trailer. right now there is a shore plug outside that powers the microwave and outlets inside. the batteries that came with the trailer died this winter so I just installed 2 12v 105ah deep cycle motomaster nautilus AGM Group Size 31 Batteries. these power the interior lights, propane furnace, and exterior lights. It does not have any converters / chargers / inverters. I don’t believe the previous owner had very much wiring experience (nor do I) as both my truck and shore power do not charge the batteries when plugged in. Another note, 99% of the time I am either in remote areas and only have a Honda 2000w generator. Not often do i have shore power.

my idea for this trailer is to spend some time on it this summer. rewire most of it while adding in a small kitchen area up front, as well as the install of a new propane monitor. It has a small RV propane furnace at the moment but has a hard time keeping the trailer warm at outside temps of -10 Celsius. I purchased a second hand propane monitor for my 600sqft cabin a while back, but never installed it. if possible, id love to install it in the trailer as i know it would have no problem keeping it warm at very cold temps. i dont have the model number on hand but ill get that info soon. I believe its big enough to easily heat up 1000sqft home, so powering it also could be a problem. I believe I could keep everything the way it is as far as outlets go, but I think the best place to start is some rewiring at the batteries.

The new electronics I would like to add would be a 1500w 12v water heater (amazon) and water pump. Or if anyone has any recommendations on a small efficient water heater (1.5 - 2.5 gallon) I’m more than open to options!

So in conclusion, I want to install and power a small water heater / water pump, some more ceiling led lights (as well as the previously installed led lights), microwave, new propane monitor, and my outlets. with the possibility or option to install a small efficient mini fridge in the future.

It would be nice to have the batteries in the trailer charge from shore hookup, as well as my truck when transporting.

Does it make sense to have the microwave, water heater and anything 110 on shore hookup and the batteries can power the furnace, water pump, usb outlets and battery monitor? Can a 1500w inverter be installed to power the microwave and/or outlets so a guy can watch movies when no shore power is available?

I added a photo of the wiring diagram I got from Far Out Ride. Im sure the diagram isn’t perfect for my setup but I believe its a good starting point. I know it is a big ask, but basically I’m looking for a wiring diagram I can follow for my setup/needs.

I’m very green when it comes to wiring and any patience and help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys,
Ryley

hey guys! It only lets me post with 1 photo per post, so attached is the wiring diagram i mentioned previously that i plan to follow.

Thanks guys,
Ryley

You have a lot going on here. First, all RV’s and conversion vans are setup to use propane as a primary source of energy. An electric heat would only be helpful when your home or connected to a generator.

To maje it off grid or fully self contained, you need the fridge, water heater, stove, heater to all be propane powered.

An inverter to run a microwave can be used if you have enough battery to power it. It takes several batteries to power a microwave. Even if its a small unit at 1000watts, you need a 1500 watt continuos load on inverter. Technically 1200 would work, but I wouldn’t load an inverter that much. You will burn it out.

To charge your batteries from shore power ir generator you need a charge converter. Opposite of an inverter. It changes 120v AC to 12/24 V DC. To charge your battery bank.

A TV will run fine on a small 300-600 w inverter. Depending on the size oft the TV.

The wiring diagram you have shows a basic system. Not everything will be applicable exactly to your setup. The basic idea is accurate though. You need a power source to connect a converter to, then run that directly to your battery bank, then get a fuse box and run your appliances and fixtures that are 12v, from the fuse box.

You may want to consider some solar power and a charge controller for additional power. Even if only 100-200 watts. Helps a lot if your off grid.

As far as the charging from your vehicle, you need a battery to battery charger to make that work. It will add a load to your alternator, so don’t draw too much. Keep it under 50 amps. 10-30 amps would be best.

Remember, the large amperage current wires need to be as short as possible. ie the converter, inverter, 12v fuse box or panel. Anything that draws more than 20-30 amps on 12 v should be installed close to the battery bank. Notice on the diagram it shows 1 foot for the wire length? Jeep the big wires short as they can carry more current on the wire of they are short.

Im not sure what help you need to wire it? Red is positive and black is ground. Make sure your appliances have an additional ground to the vehicle. That will be your 3rd wire or a separate connector from inverters etc, or ground wire in the receptacles. It should go to the fuse box, then to vehicle ground, if it is powered from the fuse box. If not, then it can go directly to vehicle ground.

Hope this info helps, its better than the info I receive when everyone tells me to try all the things they know wont work.

Wow that was helpful information for me. Thanks

1 Like