Heater option for high elevation

Hey all! I live in Denver and so I’m spending a lot of time about 5,000’. I’ve heard Webasto heaters have issues at that elevation. Also I can’t track down a Propex heater anywhere across the US but I have an email alert for when they come back in stock.
Any feedback for users that have heaters in their vehicles living above 5k feet? (I’m in a promaster 159 ext high roof, so it’s quite a bit of space.)

Greetings!

I use a wick type portable kerosene heater. It requires no power, can also use diesel, and it’s dead simple without much to go wrong with it. Then I sit a heat powered wood stove fan on top of it, to have fan circulated hot air without needing any power. Unlike unvented propane heat, it’s nice dry heat, and a lot safer too.

One of the best things I’ve ever done was ditching propane in favor of kerosene/diesel. Even 100+ year old kerosene heaters, stoves, lanterns, and appliances still work good as new. Older, foolproof, dependable technology you can count on, with no battery/electric power needed.

I just checked the Denver Craigslist and there’s of kerosene heaters available cheap, I also saw an alpaca cook stove too. Once in a while they might need a new wick, but other than that there’s nothing more dependable available anywhere.

Cheers!

"Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst." ~ Murphy

1 Like

I live in Albuquerque (5,300 ft above sea level), and often camp above 8 or 9,000 ft. This is my solution:

1 Like

Hi, I haver a similar setup, Promaster 159. I recently completed installation of my Webasto. I purchased a kit with the HD timer controller and separately purchased a Rheostat controller. Turns out you can have both connected at the same time (with the proper wiring harness - the one that supports making the altitude adjustment). Being a newbie I had to ask the question and exchange the harness. Fortunately heatedupamerical , com was very supportive and sent me the correct harness w/o charge.

Anyway, faroutride . com has a tutorial on adjusting the Webasto for high altitude operation. They have a pretty thorough discussion of the issue and solutions in several blog posts.

Although I live at sea level, I’ll be making the adjustment as I expect most camping to be above 1000 meters and up to 3000 meters and I don’t mind the slightly reduced capacity at sea level because a) my promaster is well insulated, double pane windows, etc. and b) I live on the left coast and temperatures are pretty mild at sea level :slight_smile:

1 Like