Floor & ceiling insulation thickness

Hello! My wife and I are starting the long process of figuring out which van will be the best option for us to convert and build out in the next year or so. It has become obvious that one of the biggest factors in our decision is my height.

I am exactly 6’7 and 7/8". That is 79.875".

We are interested in the Ford Transit 350 148" LWB. The interior height in the cargo area is 81.5". That would give us 1.625" to play with for floor and ceiling insulation/wood.

My question is… is it possible to complete a well-built floor and ceiling with 1.625" of real estate to work with? I’m concerned the answer is no, but I’m optimistic that there is some fancy type of insulation that is ultra thin and has a good R value. We don’t want to get a pop-top for stealth purposes as well as ease of rolling into a spot and already being ready to crawl into the back and sleep. I understand that there is also the sprinter mega roof, but this seems to be somewhat of a unicorn.

Any advice is appreciated!

Greetings!

I would look into the older ultra high top handicap vans. Not only do they have the extra high top, but they will also give you all the advantages of windows. Windows make for much better campers.

hitop_handicap

Cheers!

"I can live like a king because I work like a dog." ~ An anonymous vandweller

Well, regardless of the headroom you still need to keep your butt warm (and cool),

I’m new to van conversions, but I think in cold climates 1/2" foam board is the minimum I’d use on the floor + at least 1/4" ply over it. If you aren’t going to be in very cold climates, a layer of carpet might be enough. You can’t really get a high R value in a thin layer of anything, but a even the thinest layer of foam provides an amazing thermal barrier. (You can hold boiling water in a styrofoam cup in your bare hand, which is really incredible.) Foam is avaliable in a 1/4" thinkness, which I think is sold accordian folded in 4’x50’ sheets. That’s what I’m planning to use to cover the structural ribs on the ceiling & walls, with soft fiber insulation packed under it, and thin wood paneling over the foam.