Electric Fridge Selection

Hope everyone’s day is going well.

I’m needing some help with fridge selection before I finalize my renovation plans.

What places do you suggest for fridge shopping? I’ve been browsing best buy, home depot, and some smaller home stores near me.

Do you know of any smaller fridges that go wide instead of tall? If I can cram my refrigeration and freezing under 24.5" then I will have a decent chunk of extra desk space. the only fridge I can find for that clearance is 2.6 cubic feet.

Thanks bunches!

Greetings!

Ice chest style is low, I just hate having to root through everything to find what I’m looking for.

An ac/dc dorm fridge/freezer can save you a ton of money, and some people have reported that they’ve found them at Walmart for under $100. Just make sure it’s not thermoelectric or says cooler/warmer on it.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

1 Like

I put a Kohree ice chest type fridge in mine. It runs on 12/24v DC or 120v AC, no LP. I have 4 batteries to run it though. Commonly I see 12v/120v/LP refrigerators. Norcold is a common manufacturer. Google RV propane fridge suppliers near Elkhart, Indiana. Also Amazon and Walmart are good sources. Elkhart is the capital for RV manufacturing in the US.
People use the combo LP/120v fridge because they can run it on propane or plug into shore power aka land power or RV hookups. Also you can run in if you use a generator to run an AC or charge your batteries.

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend a fridge that runs solely on AC. You will put unnecessary use on your inverter. I would get either a DC fridge or a propane fridge that also runs on AC, for when you connect to power. In my opinion

1 Like

I didn’t make it very clear that I was wanting to put the fridges underneath the desk, so a chest style would not work. Thank you, though :slight_smile:

Instead of looking for one short, wide fridge I just got two short fridges. We also updated our requirements to 19.5" tall, this fridge fits wonderfully and is extremely affordable:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidaire-1-6-cu-ft-Mini-Fridge-in-Black-EFR100-BLACK/305520527

This is going to be using a lot more power than a truck fridge or DC based fridge. You’'ll be pulling ~5 amps or more running both of these plus whatever is lost from the inverter running and doing the conversion. That’s going to eat through power pretty heavily. If you had a 100amp lithium bank it would need to be charged to about 120% of capacity everyday. That’s a lot considering this likely won’t be the only thing running.

Greetings!

Some dorm fridges are actually AC/DC and have a wall plug that feeds the fridge/freezer 12vdc.

Some people also use a relay and a temperature probe to only turn the inverter on when needed.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

12V refrigerators are excellent for camping. They are designed to run on the 12-volt power supply commonly found in vehicles, making them convenient for use in camping situations where traditional power sources may be limited. These refrigerators can efficiently cool food and beverages, providing a reliable and portable solution for keeping items cold during outdoor adventures.

I’ve been following the discussion on electric fridges closely, and it’s fascinating to see the diverse experiences shared here. I wanted to add that while discussing fridge options, it’s also crucial to consider safety measures and protection for your appliance investment. Alongside exploring fridge models, it might be wise to look into storage rental insurance. This kind of coverage can offer peace of mind in unforeseen circumstances, ensuring your appliances and belongings are safeguarded.