Window coverings

Hi again

Well I’ve been and gone and done it ----I bought my van!!!
Its a Merc Sprinter and has been converted already. It has a kitchen, shower and fixed bed, plus a partly set up basic composting toilet. The engine has done a lot of miles but that’s ok as I’m not planning a huge load of driving.
It has solar and diesel heating plus wired up lighting. I got an three way fridge, bit old but working and has a cooker with hob, grill and oven that runs on gas.
I’m pretty darn pleased… but still got a few things to do before moving in.
Which brings me on to the windows; I need to make insulated blackout privacy inserts for the rear, side and all the cab windows.
I have bought a roll of reflective bubble wrap foil and was planning on covering this with thermal, blackout fabric. Will that work? I saw online someone do this but they used a material that was more like a waterproof canvas than thermal fabric. Which would be best? I am in Scotland and our winters are cold and damp.
This will be my first experience of van life and I like to be toasty but not mouldy if you know what I mean…any suggestions?
Thank you for your time and assistance, most appreciated

Greetings!

The problem with insulating window coverings is that they don’t stop the condensation or the frozen insides of the windows, they only hide it. I want my heat to reach my windows to prevent condensation and freezing. I have 360° of windows, and rarely cover any of them. Only my toilet & shower are private. I don’t hide, and I don’t care if somebody is watching. Most of my neighbors usually know me by name, know exactly what I’m doing, that I’m a good neighbor, and have no reason to hide or be ashamed of what I’m doing.

Temperature wise, your heating & cooling equipment is what keeps you comfortable. Not insulation, and not window coverings. Required ventilation totally defeats any benefits of insulation, and lack of ventilation is what leads to moisture & mold issues. The best combination is lots of ventilation, and enough dry heating/cooling power to keep you comfortable in spite of the needed ventilation.

It gets down to 60 below zero sometimes where I winter, but it’s still paradise in my van at 70°f, without any added insulation, or window coverings. I use a kerosene wick type heater, which is also safe to run over night.

Cheers!

"Proper Planning is preferable to premature failure" ~ DreamLife