Who needs wifi - parents or kids?

Hi I’m Liz

I’m doing some research for a commercial company, and I’d be very grateful for any insight you can give me. I’d like to find out how important it is to be connected to the internet while travelling in a camper van. Does the internet allow you to escape? Do you enjoy sharing your experiences on social media? Or do you want to get away from everything and everyone while the kids want to stay in touch with their friends?
Many thanks,

Greetings!

Most of us live in cities, and there’s free wifi everywhere. When we’re out camping, there is no signal anyway, which is just fine with most of us.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. If you don’t mind me asking, do you use a portable router? (It sounds as though you’re very happy to get away from wi-fi, though).
Liz

Greetings!

No router or anything but my laptop, it’s easy enough to park within range of free wifi in almost any city.

Cheers!

"Too hot? Seek shade, ventilation, and a 12v swamp cooler." ~ Happy Camper

Interesting, thank you!

Hey!

Wifi was really important to us (both late 20’s). We both worked from the van whilst travelling full time so it was necessary to keep us on the road. We used a combination of our phones mobile data and our EE mifi. We also run a blog on tiny and eco living so internet was a must for our van :).

Hope that helps!
Nic @greenearthlingblog

Very much, thank you! Nice blog, it looks like you had lots of great experiences.
Liz

Both parents and kids need Wi-Fi.

1 Like

Greetings!

Even though I’ve been making my living largely using wifi for many years now, I can’t help but to think that we need to learn to live without it, and practice doing so. I was around for many years before wifi, or even the internet or cell phones.

In the event of natural disasters, often all of these things become inaccessible, leaving many people in a state of panic, and often hopelessness, and helplessness. When things like this happen (and they do!!!), our CB radios can keep us in touch and call for help. We need to practice basic survivalism without them. Food, water, shelter, safety, transportation, and how to make money anytime and anywhere, can help keep our lives on track when the world around us is crumbling. Making money is important because the money in our bank accounts may be inaccessible, and our credit cards might not work either, especially if the powers out. I’ve personally been in these types of circumstances.

We all need to learn self sufficiency, because such things can and do happen all the time. It’s not the apocalypse, but it can still be pure hell for many miles in every direction. Being prepared can mean the difference between life and death, ours and our loved ones. The time to practice is before we actually need these skills.

Cheers!

"The money to live comfortably is the best medicine in the world." ~ Road_Money

Both for different use.

1 Like

ill say the kids need wifi to stay connected to friends. and also for entertainment.
kids get restless easier than adults!
(youtube can be a lifesaver for obstacles along the way!) :sweat_smile:

Thanks for the input! Kids seem to feel quite cut off if they can’t contact their friends.
LizT

Greetings!

I use the internet for both work and entertainment, as well as education, so…

Cheers!

"Smiles are contagious, pass it on!" ~ Van_Dweller

2 Likes