Which gas detector to buy?

Hi all.

I’m ready to leave with my VW T5 from Switzerland to France, North Coast of Spain, Portugal and then Morocco. As I am a solo female traveler I want to make sure having the right set up to travel and sleep safe.
Do you have any recommendations which detector to use for MULTIPLE gas / smoke detection? (brands available in Europe)
Pepper spray doesn’t make sense in a van I guess, so I like the idea of vinegar @Van_Dweller suggest. Alerts don’t make sense if you park / wildcamp somewhere alone nor on a campingground?! What do you think?
Any other ideas?

Thanks a lot for your help, recommendations and sahred experiences.
Fatima

Greetings!

I’m in the USA, so I can’t help with brands, but I would start with a smoke detector and a carbon monoxide detector, and of course a good multi purpose fire extinguisher. If you have propane, I would add a propane detector.

I like vinegar, but even soapy water can blind an attacker long enough for you to either escape or disable them. I keep a spray bottle of a few drops of dish soap in water around for washing dishes, and one day I was approached by a couple of kids looking for trouble, and I accidentally grabbed the soapy water sprayer instead of the vinegar, and got them each in the face with that. Blinded them instantly, plenty long enough for me to jump in and drive off. Think of a severe case of hair shampoo in your eyes, not fun… Vinegar causes a similar blinding, plus breathing problems if they get a snoot full.

Escape is generally my plan A, but if that’s not possible, I take my keys and place them in my fist so that keys are sticking out from between my fingers, this is a good impromptu weapon if nothing else is available. Forget the rules, if you’re in danger go for a low blow, their eyes, or their neck. My elbows and my knees also make strong weapons.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

Dear Van_Dweller

it’s been a while that you wrote me. And I wanted to come back to you after making some experiences on my journey. So far I can say that here in France and Spain I don’t have to be afraid while camping wild. Either there are a few like-minded people around who take also care but also in the absolute wilderness there is nobody coming out to rip you off. So even I’m prepared with your useful tipps, nothing fearful was going on till now.
Have a good time and thanks again!
Fatima

Greetings!

Glad to hear all is well, it usually is here as well, but if it does go bad, it can go bad quickly so it’s best to be prepared.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller