What was your motivation to begin your Vanlife?

Hi im Mathieu, Van life enthousiast but also a student Development and Design at Howest in Kortijk - Belgium.
For both school and personal reasons i would like to know what your motivation was or what triggered you to make such a drastic change and live the van life?

Every answer is much appreciated!

Greetings & Welcome!

I worked construction all the way through high school, for a gentleman that ran construction crews all over the USA. He wanted me to work full time for him once i got out of school. I had the choice of staying local, or joining a traveling crew for higher pay. Getting higher pay while getting to see the country appealed to me, but living out of motels didn’t. I had already bought an old VW camper van as my driver, and to use for camping, so I decided to live in it, and pocket the food & motel money we were given extra.

I worked as a traveling construction worker for 30 years until my body told me I needed to quit. Over the years, I lived in many different rigs, but only rarely in a motel. I developed friends all over the country. I attended van and RV rallies all over the country if they were near my location, and from there I learned how to make money online. This allowed me to keep traveling while still having a nice income.

As the years passed, many of my friends who were business owners got old, and requested my help. Especially a group where I am now, South of Miami, and another group located in Minneapolis & Duluth Minnesota. So for the last couple years, I’ve been spending summers in Florida and winters in Minnesota while helping friends. Besides managing their businesses, I am also caregiver for some of them. I hope to be free to travel once again in the near future, after arranging the finances and personal care of all my friends, without the need of me physically.

Cheers!

"If you prepare for the worst, every thing else is easier." ~ Off Grid

1 Like