What kind of oven we can get for camper van

Hi,

Do you have any suggestion which oven is great fit for vanlife?

JB

Greetings!

I have 2 stove top ovens, a Dutch oven, and a folding Coleman style oven. Between the two, I can cook almost anything.

Cheers!

"The road to success is often littered with failures." ~ Rubber Tramp

1 Like

I google it up and I see Dutch oven is like big iron pan and seems that you tend to cook your food at outside right?

I used a counter top toasteroven when I was in my campervan because it only had a 3 burner stovetop. It worked well with my modified electrical setup in my campervan.

You can find stoves for RVs that have an oven, but they’re expensive, BUT well worth it if you really want the ability to bake like me.

1 Like

Greetings!

One of the nice things about Dutch ovens is their versatility. They can be use indoors, outdoors, or even over a campfire. I use it in all 3 scenarios.

Cheers!

Greetings!

I try to avoid electric appliances whenever possible. I can cook anything imaginable without the need for electricity.

I purposely don’t want any of my necessities to require electricity.

Cheers!

1 Like

I strongly agree with avoiding things that need electricity. Yesterday my solar charger failed. Even though I check it regularly and make sure it is charged, it still failed. But then it decided to work this morning. I only use it for the led light bulb and fan. It gives off better light. I ended up using a battery lantern. Not as bright but it was pretty dark and it did the job.
I actually just got rid of my toaster oven. Never used it. I always use a wood fire or gas burner to cook.I have an electric burner, but dont use it much, it needs shore power. I also received a dutch oven a couple years ago. I got a little plate for the bottom so I can bake in it. I can use it over the fire, gas burner, or elecric plate.
Basically, I have found that I need to have a back up. And anything I buy should be able to be used in multiple ways. And its a winner if it dont require electricity!

2 Likes

Ahh okay. What about the fridge?

Greetings!

I sometimes use a cake cooling rack in the bottom of my Dutch oven, or a pie tin, sometimes both. Depending on what I’m doing, I will sometimes fill the pie tin with water, then place the rack on top of that. It can turn my Dutch oven into a steamer, & more.

A friend who loves to tinker, just gifted me with a air fryer lid for my Dutch oven that utilizes a heat powered fan, so no electricity is required. Now I need to figure out how to use an air fryer… hehe :smiley:

Cheers!

Greetings!

I bought a 3-way fridge/freezer out of an RV at a junkyard for $50. Since I don’t like or use propane, I converted it to run on a liquid candle which uses cooking oil. It’s an older model that doesn’t require power for a circuit board when not using electricity. I guess newer models require power even when running on propane.

Since fridges are picky about being level, and I rarely level my rig, I mounted the fridge using a gimbal like they use on boats. That way my fridge is level whether my rig is or not.

Cheers!

I have an ice cooler, we mainly use it for beer. I dont like putting food in it because no matter what I use to keep it sealed, dirty ice water always gets in it and I have actually gotten sick not realizing that some of the ice water leaked in. So I have an alpicool that can run on shore power or solar generator. My solar generator is a 200 watt with a 100 watt solar panel. If I use it, I can run my lights and the fridge on a single charge for 24 hrs. But I rarely use the alpicool because I bring fresh and canned food. Mainly used for extended trips.
But then again, it really is preference. And an ice cooler doesnt need electricity. And depending on the ice cooler you choose to use, you can extend the life of your ice. Therefore not needing to buy and use ice as much.
There are plenty of options.

Greetings!

By freezing milk jugs, tupperware style, or any food safe containers, you create larger blocks of ice which last longer, and there is no uncontained ice water to contaminate food.

This method also provides you with ice water, and safe drinking/cooking water once melted.

A 1 gallon milk jug style container would always last me at least a week in a 40 quart el cheapo ice chest.

A hack: Go to the dollar store the day before you need ice and take a gallon jug of water and place it at the back of a shelf in the freezer section. Retrieve it and purchase it the next day.

Many Mom & Pop and convenience stores are also happy to help you with this, and many will refreeze your jugs for free.

Cheers!

"Life can be as simple or as complicated as you make it.
Simple is cheaper and more reliable."
~ Off Grid

1 Like

We did a propane stove - has 3 burners and interior can fit a large cookware dish (or a pizza!). The oven may not be necessary but definitely use it for longer hauls on the road for 2+ months makes for many more meal options. We cook a tonne and find the fixed stovetop to be super handy. Cools down quick and allows to cook and hit the road quickly as needed. If the space is available would recommend! So many options out there though.
Good luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, nice picture! is your van has extended length?

Thanks! Yes its extended, a 170. Lots of room

The 12V Travel Buddy Marine Oven, made in Australia, is really nice. It can heat to 350 or 375 degrees F. It can comfortably hold a 2.75 quart Pyrex baking dish, 7 3/4" wide x 9 3/4" long x 3" high. It uses 10A; I have a 12V battery bank that charges from the alternator and solar panel, so electricity is not a problem.