Vanlife to start Winter 2019

Hello Van People!

I am so happy to have found this awesome forum.

My husband and I will be starting van life in the winter on 2019. I live in North Carolina. We will be stealth parking 3 days a week and utilizing state camp grounds 4 days a week. We will stay in NC for work for 2 years and then hit the road.

We plan to buy a used Promaster and build it out ourselves super simple with a platform bed, plastic drawers, wood top for counter, etc. VERY VERY simple build.

2 Likes

The simple ones are often the best! Do more with less. Amirite?
Keep us updated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Greetings & Welcome!

Be careful on ProMasters, people are starting to report huge reliability issues with them. Tranny’s going out at under 30k miles is one issue.

I would also suggest a fully depreciated older van, you can lose a lot of money to depreciation.

I too like simple builds, dollar store dishpans for sinks, spray bottles for water, and a simple camp stove. A toilet & shower can also be added very cheaply, and I highly recommend them. A dollar store hula hoop for a shower curtain rod, and shower curtains, a storage bin to capture the water, and a weed sprayer to provide the pressurized shower spray, with no power needed. Handicap style bucket toilets work great too.

Just give a shout for any advice needed.

Cheers!

"Those who believe money can't buy hapiness, don't have either." ~ An Anonymous Vandweller

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply. I was thinking about a 2015 Promaster; I am open to suggestions.

At the risk of sounding vapid can you give me an example of a older van you would recommend.

Reliability is very important to me and my spouse

Greetings!

My van is a 1973 Dodge van with a high top. It has 450k+ miles on it now. I have owned it for a little over 10 years, and it has been totally reliable, with no break downs and only normal maintenance needed. I believe the Dodge vans from 70’s & 80’s were the best vans ever made.

Cheers!

"Those who believe money can't buy hapiness, don't have either." ~ An Anonymous Vandweller

She is a beauty! Thank you for sharing.