#VanLife in a Chevy HHR?

Hi everyone! My name’s Nick, a 22 year old that just graduated college with an associate’s. I love graphic design, along with web development, video production, and photography. I’ve worked a marketing job for the last few years in an office which has been quite draining. It’s helped me realize that the office space is not where I want to live most of my life.

#Vanlife has been an interest for me for about a year and a half now, and has become more enticing the more I read about it. I’ve done a ton of research on the pros and cons and have been holding back from making the jump for various reasons. Money, school, what other people will think, etc. I’ve also been trying to figure out what van would be the right choice.

But then it hit me… my life is at a point where it’s very flexible. I’m not in debt, I have job flexibility, the internet exists, I’m only 22, I’ll get over other people’s opinions on it, and I have a car that is actually possible for me to lay down in… a Chevy HHR (oof). This car wouldn’t exactly be my first choice to live in, but I know you really have to ease into this kind of lifestyle and try it out.

So, I did a quick, temporary transformation of my HHR and have lived in it for the past week. I’ve still had to rely on my Mom’s house for a few resources, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised on how doable and enjoyable it has been.

I thought I’d introduce myself to the community and meet some other people trying to make it work with what they have :slight_smile:

Thanks for reading!

1 Like

Greetings & Welcome!

I think the most important thing when you take a permanent leap is to be totally self sufficient, so you don’t need to rely on anyone else for anything. This is especially true if you’re traveling because in new towns it’s the pits to have to hunt for stuff.

Cheers!

"Time used wisely earns money, friendships, and happiness,
but time wasted can't buy anything but misery." ~ Travlin' Tom

1 Like

Just got an HHR (SS) for a daily, and plan on at least doing glamping it it, I put the seats all down and layed on it seems like I’ll need to put at least the passenger seat down and possibly lay sideways. I might use it for having a hammock outside for hiking etc.

Greetings & Welcome!

Make sure it’s mechanically sound first and foremost.

Cheers!

"Happy Holidays!" ~Van_Dweller