Van or Pullable home? why would a van be better or not as good?

To me it seems like a pullable home is a better option even though I like the idea of just a van and maybe a good electric bike more.

Does having a van that has its own motor and parts that could need repair or maintenance/ only having the van to travel cause issues or is there some benefit that I am not considering because it seems like using a pullable/towable home or trailer or some kind of non-motarized home might be better because of less maintenance of the engine on your home since if the engine malfunctions on the van you would be unable to switch or would be stuck with it since it is your home. with a pullable, it seems like if your motor (the vehicle you pull it with) malfunctions, you could get something else to pull it and the home would last longer and you could travel away from the towable home if needed.

What are people’s opinions on this especially people who are living in vehicles and what is a good way to not have the engine in your home be a problem or be better off towing?

Greetings!

Towing is a pain for many people, others it may not bother.

I prefer an all in one, van, bus, motorhome etc. Just easier than pulling a trailer, plus that gives me the option of pulling a trailer for other reasons, like a boat, other toys, maybe a load of stuff for a flea market or other event, or maybe a mobile workshop or other business.

It all boils down to just personal preferences.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

Hi I know this is an old thread but in case someone reads it and it’s still relevant to them, I chose a cube van because it simplified the build for me and feels bigger. It’s 13’ with extra 2’over the cab, so it is still manoeuvrable and fairly easy to park.
I got a motorhome convertible couch to bed with seatbelts from a motorhome salvage yard. So I can take 3 passengers in back. (In addition to 1 in the cab).

Works for me!

Greetings!

When I gained passengers, I switched to a bus from my van for the added room. I prefer buses because I love all the advantages of having all those windows and a 360° view.

For me alone, my van gave me 6’x12’ behind the front seats. Plenty for me… But there’s a lot to be said for more space, even for individuals.

My bus is bigger, and a little harder to drive & park, and gets worse mpg. But having a living room with a comfy sofa, 2 recliners, a big screen TV, & electric fireplace, sure makes it feel like a luxury home instead of just a luxury camper. The dinette across from the kitchen seats four, and both it and the sofa can be converted to guest beds. 3 sets of bunk beds in the back, in a U shape work well for the 3 of us. We all share a single bedroom, but each bunk has privacy curtains, although we rarely use them.

It’s different, but I’m enjoying the company and life is good. We now have 3 incomes instead of just mine, and enjoying the cooking of others is awesome, as is having help keeping the place clean & tidy without having to do everything myself. There’s a lot to be said for “family” whether you happen to be related or not.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

2 Likes

Personally i like the idea of being able to go directly from living space to driver’s seat in case i need to get the Hell out of there for some reason.

Greetings!

Nice in nasty weather too! :wink:

Cheers!

"A wise man learns from both the successes & failures of others." ~ Off Grid