Van bus? Size & space!

Hey everyone - I’m Jeremy riding in TheWhiteElephantx on IG. I’m 31 years old and traveling solo around the country photographing scenic places, wildlife while filming to make a documentary film.

A question that gets asked often is the size and space on whether or not I like the bus or could have done a van & also how I find places to stay - be safe.

First things first - what do you need? Have you done a test run or know of someone with a bus - trying out camping even in a SUV can help you decide if a bathroom/shower is something you really need. For me - I’m comfortable in the woods, finding a bathroom when near by - using the ocean, lakes, outdoor showers or planet fitness to shower so that space to have one wasn’t essential. I do however have a pop up toilet for emergency and as a guy - I can use a gallon jug if really needed. I do think the top of toilet I got for $20 at Walmart is great - not that I’ll ever use it - but let’s say you get food poisnioning and it’s a rainy night - you don’t want to be face down in the dirt all night.

As for size, I love the headroom, I also have a lot of photography equipment and a lot of things I like to do - paddle board, snorkel, & hike. So a blow up paddle board, and all these things - outdoor grill - fits. I plan to be on the road a long time so having room to fits everything for a wide range of activities and locations - whether/temps is a plus. I also need to charge my equipment regularly - so a large goal zero connected to solar panels as well as deep cycles and an inverter helps with that. I don’t use a fridge - just a cooler which if you did a van - that would save space too - I also have a couch, not really needed, my kitchen has a large water jug and having a dog - I need a lot of extra water for both of us.
A van would also has its perks. The bus isn’t allowed on every highway, if visiting friends - some complexes don’t allow it & you always need to be aware of the height factor. A van can be make very comfortable and driving a lot easier - especially if you’re two people - note the bus has only 1 seat and as much as you’d think the 2nd person is comfy on the bed…most people like to sit next to the driver.

But in short - I love the bus, it does stand out and often people are taking pictures of it, it’s noticable where ever you are and you can’t hide well. On the flip side - I feel safe, it’s big and you can’t see inside easily - I can walk around, cook, and my dog can stretch his legs. + I feel accomplished that I’ve made use out of a old bus that has now been repurposed.

As for how I get around…I use ioverlander app - when driving long distance - I won’t hesitate to sleep at a rest area or Walmart… it’s not always about the current night but the destination and getting there safely. Taking your time is a great feeling knowing you don’t have a real schedule or exact time frame. I also use google earth to check what the landscape, roads - whether or not it’s surrounded by hotels or RV parks.

If you’re new to bus life or van life and have any questions about your build - I do my best to answer every question - I’ve done a number on my site roam4wild - but shoot me a DM if you have any others.

Be safe, please respect, clean up, recycle

and enjoy the world!

1 Like

Greetings & Welcome!

While not into photography, I to try to work towards the greater good wherever I roam.

The addition of a toilet & shower in my van greatly improved my life.

I am totally with you with all the great windows. The people in cargo vans don’t know what they’re missing out on.

Cheers!

"Old school, cheap, reliable, and easily replaceable for the win!" ~ Traveler@Heart

1 Like