Used deep cycle batteries

Hello. Newb here. Van_Dweller has described his success with used deep cycle batteries from junk yards. I know they have dates written on them and I kinda figure that they have them in their battery sections. Are there any other tips/suggestions for finding, judging, and procuring them?

Greetings!

I just replaced my starter battery with another deep cycle battery a couple of days ago. The weather’s nasty right now, and I didn’t feel like changing it myself, so I just googled “used batteries near me”, and it came up with a shop a couple miles away. The used battery was $40 installed, with a 5 year replacement guarantee. That was a little more than double what I paid last summer for a junkyard house battery, but not having to replace it myself was worth it to me.

For junkyard batteries I take a multi meter to check if it’s over 12v, then I check the date code to make sure it’s no more than 2 years old. Different battery brands have different date codes, but you can google it and find out how to decipher them.

Cheers!

"Always avoid complicated solutions to solve simple problems." ~ OffGrid

Much obliged, Van_Dweller

1 Like

what is the original source?

Greetings!

Apologies for being dense today… Original source of ???

Cheers!

"Always avoid complicated solutions to solve simple problems." ~ OffGrid

My bad. What is the original source of the battery. They aren’t automotive. Do these junkyards have a marine scrap section? Thanks.

Greetings!

Ah okay… Most of the junkyards I’ve been to also have motorhomes & camper vans, as well as sometimes truck campers & travel trailers. Can’t remember ever seeing any boats though, but it’s entirely possible they have boat yards similar to auto wrecking yards. I have also seen a few RV recycling lots too, so they could be a cheap source of used batteries too.

A friend I was talking to last night was telling me that many used tire shops also carry used batteries, something I was unaware of.

Cheers!

"Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst." ~ Murphy