Used deep cycle batteries

Hello. Newb here. Van_Dweller has described his success with used deep cycle batteries from junk yards. I know they have dates written on them and I kinda figure that they have them in their battery sections. Are there any other tips/suggestions for finding, judging, and procuring them?

Greetings!

I just replaced my starter battery with another deep cycle battery a couple of days ago. The weather’s nasty right now, and I didn’t feel like changing it myself, so I just googled “used batteries near me”, and it came up with a shop a couple miles away. The used battery was $40 installed, with a 5 year replacement guarantee. That was a little more than double what I paid last summer for a junkyard house battery, but not having to replace it myself was worth it to me.

For junkyard batteries I take a multi meter to check if it’s over 12v, then I check the date code to make sure it’s no more than 2 years old. Different battery brands have different date codes, but you can google it and find out how to decipher them.

Cheers!

"Always avoid complicated solutions to solve simple problems." ~ OffGrid

Much obliged, Van_Dweller

1 Like

what is the original source?

Greetings!

Apologies for being dense today… Original source of ???

Cheers!

"Always avoid complicated solutions to solve simple problems." ~ OffGrid

My bad. What is the original source of the battery. They aren’t automotive. Do these junkyards have a marine scrap section? Thanks.

Greetings!

Ah okay… Most of the junkyards I’ve been to also have motorhomes & camper vans, as well as sometimes truck campers & travel trailers. Can’t remember ever seeing any boats though, but it’s entirely possible they have boat yards similar to auto wrecking yards. I have also seen a few RV recycling lots too, so they could be a cheap source of used batteries too.

A friend I was talking to last night was telling me that many used tire shops also carry used batteries, something I was unaware of.

Cheers!

"Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst." ~ Murphy

Would used batteries be feasible for the electrical system? And can you mix and match two used AGM batteries of the same voltage? It would be for a weekender van that wouldn’t have too much drawing power.
Thanks!

Greetings & Welcome!

I’ve been using junkyard deep cycle batteries for many years now, and have had very good luck with them.

Cheers!

“Everything should be made as simple as possible." ~ Einstein

Thanks for the welcome and quick response!

Greetings!

I just realized I didn’t fully answer your question, my apologies…

The manufacturers want you to believe that you shouldn’t mix batteries of different ages or brands, yet many people do so with no problems. I’ve even seen some screwy systems with batteries of different voltages cobbled together, but I wouldn’t recommend it. I also wouldn’t recommend mixing battery chemistries, because the charge characteristics can be much different. I prefer not to mix battery amperages either, but I’ve never had a problem pairing for example two 100ah deep cycle batteries of the same chemistry, but different brands. Many of these batteries are all made by the same company, but sold under different brand names.

I don’t think age or brand matters as much as a load test, which may or may not be viable for junkyard batteries. Junkyard batteries are frequently not fully charged when you get them, even though they are perfectly good. I often go by their age, and you can look up the age codes online. My current junkyard battery was a $300+ battery that was only 3 months old, and I paid $20 for it. Junkyards also usually offer a return policy for used batteries in case you get a dud.

For nomads, the three most popular types of deep cycle batteries are:

• Lead acid, your typical battery with vents on top that allow you to refill with water as they age. They're probably the most preferred type, because that ability usually means a longer life. This is the type I prefer, and it's the type most experts prefer and recommend.
  • Sealed Lead Acid, sometimes also referred to as Maintenance Free. The chemistry is the same as above, but minus the vents and the ability to refill them. Their life span is usually a couple of years less.
  • AGM, these are also frequently referred to as Maintenance Free, but are a slightly different chemistry. They claim that they can be mounted on their sides, or at angles, but I wouldn't recommend it, even though they are sealed. Their life span is similar to the sealed lead acid batteries.

In conclusion, I think it’s okay to mix brands of the same chemistry, amperages and voltages, but I wouldn’t mix chemistries, amperages, or voltages. You should also be able to check online for which battery brands are manufactured by the same manufacturers.

Cheers!

“Everything should be made as simple as possible." ~ Einstein