Unusual Layout - Fixed Bed Behind Cab!

Hello!

I have just started my first van build (Peugeot Boxer H3L4 !), and after multiple layout designs have settled on a fixed raised bed behind the cab, so that the sliding door open to the foot of the bed with garage underneath. This leave the seating area to the rear of the van and kitchen centered…

The question is, has anyone ever seen this done before? Any glaringly obviously reasons not to do this?

Any advise would be great!

Thanks,
Pete

Hello Peter,

I have a Peugeot Boxer similar to yours. The only drawback I can think of is that to get into the living area of the van from the drivers seat you would either have to climb over the bed or walk around the outside of the vehicle and enter through the rear doors. In my van I lift a handle on the drivers seat, spin the seat round and I am inside the living area.

One reason to use a rotating driver and passenger seat is that you can utilise the cab area and turn it into living space ie a seated area with the seats facing inside the van. With your bed location you wouldn’t be able to do this.

However it’s an interesting concept so please keep us updated I would be interested so see how it turns out.

1 Like

Greetings & Welcome!

This idea seems terribly inconvenient to me. One of the most important features of camper vans and motorhomes is the ease of access between the cab & cabin without needing to exit the vehicle.

Cheers!

"The less you have that CAN go wrong, the less you have that WILL go wrong!" ~Murphy

Thanks for your reply!

My original plan was to have the seating area up front to link in with rotated front seats, but the stock double passenger seat is not possible to swivel…!! I don’t want to replace the double passenger seat for single, and find a home for the original double seat in the rear part of the van. This would dictate too much for my liking.

I think everyone values certain conveniences differently (I’m also avoiding a fully built in bathroom, as I value the living space over this daily convenience!)

There is about 4 metres in length of living space not including the cab, so I think I can get away with it, and enjoy the scramble over the middle seat from the bed!

Again, thanks for your input! Looking for reactions to see how bad an idea this could be !!

Thanks for your reply!

I’ve been told this by my dad who is much more of a creature of comfort but im trying to keep an open mind by following concepts that I find interesting to build. I also live in Ireland and so rain is a big issue for this daily or nightly run from front to back!

Have yet to see images online of a van build done this way so hoping someone has followed this idea once before!

Cheers

Peter, I believe there is a Double Swivel for the front Peugeot Boxer seats you mention. If you google it you should be able to find a supplier in you decide to take this route.

1 Like