UK Newbie - An Intro

Hi All.
Im Matt from the midlands in the UK.

Ive dreamt of converting a van for years but always found an excuse not to; mostly money. So the UK’s lockdown has been tough so i tried to work towards something good which will be a van conversion. Im nearly there with my savings so its time for heavy research which is why im here. To learn as much as i can and hopefully pass on that knowledge someday.

Im approaching this with pretty much zero experience or diy skills. Ive been fortunate enough to have travelled during my life but have always sat behind a desk, so its going to be a massive challenge.

Look forward to chatting with everyone and reading through the forum.

Cheers

Matt

1 Like

Greetings & Welcome!

I’m not really convinced that building your own is the best choice for newbies. Most people seem to spend far more building their own, that what they could have bought a cheap older factory camper van or motorhome for. I don’t know whether you have the equivalent of the USA conversion vans available in your area or not, but if you do, they can be converted into a camper really cheap, in a single afternoon. The sofa/bed is already across the back, so you just remove one or both of the middle seats, buy some plastic drawers to go behind the driver, and add a board on top for your kitchen counter. Toss in a portable toilet, a camp stove, cooler, and plastic dish pans for sinks, some dollar store puck lights, and you’re good to go. Charge your electronics while driving, so you’re not using your starting battery for anything while parked/camping.

Very cheap and simple, but a great way to get started. Then with experience, you can decide what changes you’d like, and implement them. Personal experience is a great teacher.

Once again, WELCOME, and we look forward to your participation here, it’s a great community.

Cheers!

"The less you have that CAN go wrong, the less you have that WILL go wrong!" ~Murphy

1 Like