UK DIY composting toilet

Hi everyone. So just planning my build. I really want to build a composting toilet (space/and trying to be as eco as possible) Does anybody know where you can buy the components from other than eBay? Cheers

Greetings!

Is this for a camper, or an off grid cabin? The composting process takes 2+ years, so unless you have a composting pile to empty it into, a bucket toilet is cheaper, simpler, and easier to use.

With a composting toilet in a camper, you’re going to end up emptying it into the trash anyway, so there is absolutely no advantage over a bucket toilet or port-a-potty. Truth be told, if being eco friendly is really important to you, a port-a-potty that you empty into a toilet is probably the best choice short of a full RV type system with holding tanks.

Good Luck & keep us posted.

Cheers!

“A smart man learns from his mistakes.
A wise man learns from others’ mistakes.”
~ Never_2_L8_2_Learn

Hey🙋🏻‍♂️. going to be in a van that i’m converting. Thanks for the info. One of the reasons I was looking at a composting toilet is that it will not need emptying as often apart from the urine container. Is this correct?

As for a composting pile I’ve got access to many so this side is sorted.
Cheers Pete

Greetings!

I empty my bucket toilet about once a week, along with my other trash. I don’t know the normal frequency for composting toilets, but weekly would still seem about right to me, because otherwise you’ll just be hauling around extra dead weight, that could possibly cause health concerns if kept longer.

A DIY urine diverter can be easily fashioned out of flexible plastic funnel with a hose attached to the outlet, going into a gallon jug. I have contemplated doing this to my bucket toilet, but to date have not found the motivation to actually do it, but I’m a guy, so pee jugs are pretty easy. Whenever I’ve had girls traveling with me, if we weren’t in an actual RV, I switched to typical port-a-potty’s, to make make things easier for them.

Cheers!

“A smart man learns from his mistakes.
A wise man learns from others’ mistakes.”
~ Never_2_L8_2_Learn

I tried this and and absolutely zero luck, but I found some parts on etsy (JohnnyCompostToilets - Etsy). They were all 3d printed and decently made with good reviews. FWIW a bucket, waterproof bag, and some kitty litter worked a lot better and had less stink and bugs. Granted i’m not an engineer either so maybe I was doing it wrong, but it seems pretty simplistic in the application of it all.

Currently, we are still using the bucket and kitty litter, but we are going to go with one of the natures head toilets. We have seen a few of these in our travels and they appear to work well, albeit very expensive.

We love our trelino composting toilet. It is perfect in our van.