Taking my first Van Life baby steps

Introduce Yourself…

Hello from Melbourne Australia :koala:. I hope to find information, education and advice through the lived experiences of the members, to guide me in my journey to achieving life on the road :sunflower:

Welcome to the forum. Plenty of knowledge here.

Greetings & Welcome!

Great Attitude & Mind Set! Learning from the successes & failures of others can save you a ton of time, money, & frustration.

Cheers!

"There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers..." ~ Road Warrior

Hi! My names Jemima, and I’m finally starting my van life journey! Been dreaming of it for years and I am finally getting started. I’m 18, and have so so many questions! :slight_smile:

Greetings & Welcome @Jemima_Arnold !

You’ve come to the right place! We’re here to help!

Cheers!

Thank you so much!

I’ve been talking to a few van owners and gotten the gist of some things - but still have so much to learn!

Firstly, what’s a good model of van that’s affordable and small (but big enough for a conversion!)? My budget for the van would likely be about £4,000-£5,000 (have stretch room tho).

Greetings!

Just about any sized van can make a comfortable & full featured conversion, but the smaller the van, the more ingenuity that needs to go into it to fit everything wanted into the space available.

Vehicle reliability is important. Some are more reliable than others. It’s never a bad idea to get a rig checked out by a qualified mechanic before purchase, to help prevent future bad surprises.

Cheers!

Great thank you! Any specific models you’d suggest?

Secondly, how safe is Van Life? I would be travelling through Europe and eventually to Asia as a female traveller, but I am a bit apprehensive about safety whilst doing so?

:slight_smile:

Greetings!

I’m in the USA, so not much help on the makes & models, although my first choice is always cheap, older, unmodified camper vans or motorhomes.

For safety, the best advice is to never be somewhere where trouble can find you alone and vulnerable. Always lock your doors while inside, and keep a vigilant eye on your surroundings. If something feels off or unsafe, then find a different place.

I work from my van, and I have windows that give me a view in every direction, so if something sketchy is going on, I’ll see it, and know it’s time to find a different spot.

Cheers!

"Jobs & money first, vandwelling later." ~ JustTheFacts