Stripping down a Ford Transit Connect?

Hey all, new poster here! Today, I purchased a 2012 Ford Transit Connect (passenger) to convert into a part-time living space. I’m planning on stripping it down to the metal and building out from there, but I’m trying to get a sense for what to expect under the plastic/carpet. Primarily, I’m worried about what to do with the wiring/airbags. Does anybody have experience with this or could point me to some resources? I have 0 experience dealing with electrical and this is by far the thing that’s giving me the most anxiety about the build.

Greetings & Welcome!

One of the worst mistakes people make is stripping a passenger van!!! DON’T DO IT!!! You have already finished floor, walls, and ceiling, keep them intact, just remove the rear seats and move your new camping interior in and secure it. Throw a rug over your existing carpet so you can easily take it out to clean it or wash it. Now all the problems and costs associated with stripping it have simply vanished.

Don’t add a roof vent, opening windows & a $20 fan are far more effective than a $250+ roof vent, and not as prone to leaking.

Too many people over complicate the simple and easy, especially the promoters, who do it for their gain, not yours. In my humble opinion, the KISS (Keep It Stupidly Simple) method is the best. The more complicated things are, the more maintenance they’ll require, and the higher your chances of equipment failure. I prefer to spend my time enjoying life rather than repairing or replacing unnecessary gadgets.

Buy local!!! You want everything to be easily replaceable almost anywhere. Waiting weeks or months for something you need today is the pitts. I want everything to be readily available and cheap.

You’re starting with a small rig, so layout & floor plan are especially important. Comfort & Convenience are EXTREMELY important. You can fit everything that is essential into your van, including a toilet & shower, but it takes careful planning to pull it off successfully.

We’re glad you’re here, and look forward to your participation. Keep us posted!

Cheers!

"Beat Murphy's Law with a KISS! (Keep It Stupidly Simple)" ~ Van_Dweller

1 Like

There are a lot of power boxes now on the market. Maybe add their solar panel on top and you are good on power. Think simple solutions and I bet you’ll be happier in the end.

1 Like