Staging 120VAC and 12VDC wiring

Has anyone staged all of your wiring for connection at a later date? My idea is to hold off on my power system but leave my wiring staged where it needs to go. I have no problem with the thought of removing panels at a later date but is it a good idea?

Plan is to install my AC/DC distribution panel, leaving enough wire to play with on both ends. Once I have my funds for a kick ass power system I’ll remove my power cabinet and install all my components. Any issue4s that I may run into going this route? Should I just do the power system now? I don’t really want to because you know… batteries aren’t cheap.

Would it be better to just start with a 100Ah battery bank and just expand to a 400Ah later?

Also, is it common practice to use the existing 12v lighting wires to power my ceiling lights?

I think the wiring is a foundational part of the install so of course it will be in place first. You will want to work out and planned out pretty accurately where your appliances/receptacles USBs lighting, venting etc. will be. Knowing what kind of equipment you’re going to power will determine the wire sizing/insulation or protection concerns and prevent mistakes. Having to add on things later is not the end of the world but getting it mostly right before putting up the panels and cabinets would be a benefit.
Adding batteries, inverters, disconnects distribution hubs, chargers etc. definitely be installed later provided you leave slack and just terminate when you pick up the equipment.

I started with 170 amp hours first. Left myself space for add-ons and accessibility and later added another 170 amp hour. This much power is exactly what I need. Adding batteries in parallel’s pretty simple later on.

Thanks for the input!

Definitely took some time to think about this and I’ve made a decision. Best to do it right and build my house power cabinet and run the wiring together. I’m going to put all the wiring behind the cabinets. Should be simple.

1 Like

Greetings!

I run all my wiring on the outside of the walls, along the top & bottom, behind trim pieces, for easy access if ever needed. From there, they are routed and encased in an easily removable U channel on the outside of the wall/ceiling as well. All outlet boxes & fixtures, either AC or DC are in decorative boxes on the outside of the wall/ceiling as well. I continue the U channel from top to bottom, or all the way across the ceiling to complete the overall aesthetics.

From an aesthetics viewpoint, it’s basically unnoticeable, looking like trim, but from a maintenance viewpoint, it’s hands down the best and easiest setup I’ve found.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

Would you be able to post a couple of pics of how you did your wiring on the outside of the walls. I like this idea. Thanks

Greetings!

Sorry, I don’t have pics, or even a camera at present, and I am currently in a bus rather than my camper van which is in storage due to more people traveling with me.

Here’s a few simple drawings to help:

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

Thanks! This is very helpful! I’m going to try to do this. Thanks so much for taking the time to make the drawings. This is even better than pics.

1 Like

I just realized my travel trailer has the wiring like you are describing. I realized every section of wiring is accessible behind/under cabinets or build out false wall sections.

1 Like

I’ll post some photos of what I do on my van. I’m planning to hide them behind some aluminum extrusion when they’re not behind cabinets.