Smallest Generator?

What is the smallest generator that I can currently buy? Planning to get a passenger van XL and seeking additional power sources to a power bank. Not planning to invest in solar at this time.

Honda and Predator (Harbor Freight brand) and a few others make 900 watt inverter generators. The problem is that many loads like coffee makers, microwaves, refrigerators, power tools, etc all exceed or come close to exceeding the 7 to 8 amp, 900 to 1000 watts max power these small gen sets produce. But realistically, for the same price and just a little bit larger physically, you can get a 1800 - 2200 watt inv. gen that won’t consume much if any more fuel and can power most plug in 120VAC loads that run on a typical house receptacle circuit. Having flexibility to power most household appliances and small power tools is a big plus.

3 Likes

Greetings!

I agree with @4eyedbuzzard on this one, a higher wattage one isn’t much if any larger in size, or much if any higher priced, not noticeably noisier, or more gas hungry. I get 8 hours per gallon of gas with mine.

Cheers!

“Everything should be made as simple as possible." ~ Einstein

1 Like

Thank you very much. I’ll look into one of the 1800-2200 watts inv gen when I go nomad next year.

Do you carry gas or buy as needed? I know you probably don’t use yours exclusively because you may have other energy sources. I will also watch some YT vids about generator operation on the road.

Greetings!

I carry a 5 gallon metal jerry can of gas in my side door footwell. For my minimal usage, that’ll typically last for a year or more.

I use a siphon to fill my generator, which helps prevent unnecessary fuel spills.

Cheers!

“Everything should be made as simple as possible." ~ Einstein

1 Like

I don’t disagree with the other comments about the 2K Honda genie - if you are running this as your main source of power -

I run a battery system in my Van and have a few sources to charge - alternator, solar, shore, and Honda EU1000 - the only add I want to make from other comments is that it is significantly narrower - you can fit it behind your driver seat with spare room and forget about it - and 8hrs at full load eco throttle is 6-800ml of fuel - I only ever run it to power up both of 500W chargers into my house batteries and it does fine for 1000w and 8amps and will do it all day everyday…without hickup - I’m over 1800hrs on mine no rebuild - just change the oil every 100hrs and clean filter.

If this is your main source I would only consider the Honda. full stop - you’ll know exactly why just do some googling you’ll get it. Worth the extra money.

Cheers Brian

I agree with the other post about upgrading to round 2000W units. Had a Honda 1000W for around 10 years. Upgraded to a 2K Yamaha Generator/Inverter. Meets all our needs. SUPER quiet on eco-mode. We usually put it around 50’ away from the campsite behind a tree facing away. Runs all day on a gal of gas. Carbon-monoxide detector in van and a fire extinguisher at the genny. Can’t beat a Honda or Yamaha. Note: These are high theft items,ALWAYS Lock it up.

Look into ALP gen/inverter. They are 850/ 1000 watts. All propane, they can run the green 1lbs bottles or the 5 gallon BBQ style tank. They run very clean, light weight, and fuel is always fresh. I have one, and once one goes to propane, it’s hard to back to gas.

Greetings!

I just did a quick search for cheap generators on google shopping, so here’s a link for anybody interested.

https://www.google.com/search?q=inverter+generator&sa=X&sca_esv=600117354&biw=1366&bih=616&tbm=shop&tbs=mr:1,price:1,ppr_max:300,p_ord:p&ei=pD2sZbSmE-iD0PEPrduc6Aw&ved=0ahUKEwi0iNL89uyDAxXoATQIHa0tB80Quw0IpwkoAg

The best deal I found today is at:

Cheers!

"Tough people thrive in tough times." ~ Local Yocal