Sleeping in Tulsa,OK

Hey guys. I’m a nurse anesthesia student working towards my doctorate. I’m having to leave my family in Arkansas for 3 days a week to go to Tulsa, OK for my clinicals. I want to avoid paying for two residences, and I like the idea of having something to take camping at the end of all this schooling. I’ve got a little Camry and I’d like to pull a teardrop trailer somewhere out there so I have a place to sleep between shifts. I’ve been told I’ll get stabbed or robbed if I do this (because Tulsa is dangerous). Anyone in Tulsa know a way i can stay safe? Perhaps somewhere safe to park in town… or at least somewhere close-ish?

Greetings & Welcome!

Trailers are going to be hard unless you’re staying at a dedicated camp site. I would suggest a mini van, so you can go from driving to bed without getting out of your vehicle. They are extremely cheap and easy to convert and would be nicer than a teardrop with a nice kitchen, a portable toilet, and a comfy bed. No need to add any of the more expensive options to be totally comfortable.

My entire conversion of a full sized high top van came in at under $300 just to give you an idea. Converting a mini van shouldn’t cost more than maybe half of that. A couple sets of plastic drawers with a piece of plywood on top for a kitchen, a camp stove, dishpans for sinks, and an ice chest. A camping cot with a 4" foam camping pad on top can make a comfy bed. Add a portable toilet and you’re good to go. If you wanted to get a little fancier, you could add a house battery that can get charged while driving.

Gas mileage would probably be better than your current car towing a teardrop too. Buying and converting a cheap mini van might be cheaper than a teardrop too.

Cheers!

"Opportunities are everywhere, but only action makes it happen." ~ Van_Dweller

Great advice, I hadn’t really considered the van option just because of the cost of the van. I know I could make the conversion super cheap, but i will have to buy a van. I am good with wood working, but not so good with vehicle stuff- Getting stuck out on the country roads of Oklahoma would not be a good thing… (especially since I am in this rigorous program that doesn’t allow for time off). So I would be looking at a van that is cheap but reliable, and yet space to be convertible. Plus I would need a vehicle that could hold some resale value, as I have little kids at home and I am not quite ready yet to do this long term. At least not until I am out of school and can afford something bigger. All that being said… any advice on make/model?
My needs:
1)Reliable
2)cheap
3)re-sellable

Greetings!

The rental companies seem to prefer Dodge Caravans, or Ford Transit Connects, so that might be a reasonable indicator.

Cheers!

"Opportunities are everywhere, but only action makes it happen." ~ Van_Dweller