Six months and 20K miles, living in my 2008 Chevy HHR

Wife died on 02/02/2020 and soon tired of existing in a big box haunted by her memories that I no longer needed nor could afford. Loving the road life and having often reminisced in melancholy moments of the days when I was solo and otherwise unencumbered, I would hit the road on my motorcycle for long periods. Why not again?

My scooter days ended quite some time ago: so, much time and consideration was spent in selecting a vehicle appropriate for my needs. A neighbor was poised to trade her HHR, I beat the dealer’s lowball offer, and the vehicle has so far suited my needs. The only lingering difficulty is my inability to dispose of no longer needed possessions I can’t emotionally let go of yet.

Otherwise, I’m all good and regards to all the other nomads on the board.

1 Like

My condolences for your wife’s passing. Safe travels, and check in once in a while. Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

Greetings & Welcome!

Keep us posted!

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

1 Like

Apologies for post duplication… Still somewhat confused as it has been a long time since I used a message board. Thanks and I hope to be able to contribute constructively.

Greetings!

No worries, we’re a patient and understanding group. We’re all humans, floundering our way through the sea of life… hehe :slight_smile:

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

2 Likes

I really like the HHR, I am from Sacramento Ca. But now live in Iowa. There are no HHR’s in Sacramento but oddly enough in Iowa many many. I really wanted one. But the size just a bit to small. Find yourself.

1 Like

I understand your concerns and reluctance relative to size. I Initially had reservations which were resolved through a realistic analysis of my needs. Fortunately, I was employed as a vehicle transporter for a five-state chain of car dealerships, so I had a hands-on opportunity to assist me in selecting the appropriate vehicle for my particular needs.

I’m 6’-1", nearly 200 lbs and the HHR accommodates me perfectly. In fact, I can stretch out full-length and rest/sleep more comfortably and soundly than I can remember doing so in any bed. Surely, a large portion of my general peace and contentment stems from unencumbrance of prior worldly cares and commitments. Nor, does it hurt that I’m a minimalist.

Only remaining struggle is with completing the task of getting rid of possessions I don’t realistically have need of. It’s been a constant battle along the way. I have three times or more clothing than I need; 100 lbs of non-perishable food than I will ever eat; and, possessions that are unneeded which I have held on to because of sentimental value. New years resolution: divest myself of these items and thus reclaim 50% cargo space.

The HHR is limited in potential to accommodate the road lifestyle, whereas, I have the desire and capability to make it suffice. Thank you for responding and safe travels.