Simplest Solar SetUp

I think I just got talked into a solar setup. A problem…I have very little room for this. I need the simplest setup that would fit in the smallest space. Let’s put it this way…I have room for the battery and wires. It needs to power a 12 Volt Alpicool fridge and lights. I can put the solar panel outside on the ground or the roof. This is the reason I have looked at solar generators for so long. And even the 2 smallest Jackery’s won’t power my fridge for more than 4 hours. I am looking for small and simple. I do have a 6 Volt solar panel. It probably won’t do much.

Greetings!

Solar can often create more problems than it solves. By it’s nature, a decent amount of solar will take up quite a bit of space.

Portable solar panels are an option, but they also come with a number of drawbacks. Setting them up and taking them down can become a pain very quickly. They also tend to have a relative short lifespan, even though they often cost more than the fixed panels.

I don’t believe a 6v panel would work on a 12v system.

Something to consider here is having a system capable of jump starting your vehicle. Such a system can really save the day. I also recommend battery savers. They will disconnect a battery before it gets over discharged. I have them on both my starter battery & house battery. The one on my starter battery prevents me from ever having a battery too low to start my rig.

I’m thinking a combo jump starter/power station might be a good choice for you, and if you can charge it while driving, and drive often enough, it may be all you’ll need.

Cheers!

“Everything should be made as simple as possible." ~ Einstein

1 Like