Simple Power Inverter Question

I’m just starting to teach myself about power and electronics, specifically for truck camping purposes.
I am going to setup an isolated dual battery in my truck engine compartment. Then I will run wires to the bed where the power inverter will be.
From here I will have a 1000w inverter for all my AC needs, but how do I power electronics that do not have an AC plug?

I am buying a small fan and probably an LED strip. Both of these are powered though two conductor power wires. So my question: Is it ok to hook up those electronics to the POS/NEG terminals on the backside of the power inverter? Will this work? Do I need to put a fuse in between the fan/lights and the inverter?

Greetings!

Inverters are terribly inefficient, and almost everything worthwhile is available in 12v models these days. Isolators are great, but I would add a cheap generator and battery charger to your arsenal. My generator was $99 new, and the battery charger was $29. It runs for roughly 8 hours on a gallon of gas. If you must run AC loads, the generator can handle them, but more importantly, it can charge your starting battery too if needed. It is cheap but useful insurance.

It is actually a good practice to learn to camp without any power. Learn how to stay comfortable and meet all your needs without any power. Then you will have a much better perspective of how little power you actually need, and when you add it, it will be a luxury rather than a necessity. I could live indefinitely without any power if the need arose. Being prepared for the worst case scenario, is always the best practice.

Cheers!

"Those who believe money can't buy hapiness, don't have either." ~ An Anonymous Vandweller

Hello there!

You will need to add a 12V fuse panel coming from your battery to power your accessories. Super simple addition and necessary to to run anything DC, like lights, fans, and fridge. If you aren’t going to run a solar panel system or generator than the Smart Switch or a DC Converter will be perfect for your needs. You don’t need to spend a bunch of money to have the right stuff.

Pure-Sine Inverters average about 90% efficiency and have an operating consumption of less than 1Ah, which isn’t bad at all. A simple 1000W inverter doesn’t have to cost more than $115. Add a couple in-line fuses and switches and you’ll be good!

Let me know if you have any more questions. I can get you links or draw up a schematic

Get the Honda 3000 is plenty unless you want to run the microwave then the 2000.

Hey there - this is helpful. I installed and isolator, battery and inverter but not sure hi to expand on this with a fuse panel. Could you send along a diagram? Thanks.

Greetings!

You just hook up your fuse box directly to the battery. Many people add a master cut off switch between the battery and the fuse box for added safety and convenience.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

I need your help!
I have 1 100W and 1 150W solar pannel.
My 2000w BESTEK power inverter keeps shutting down after a couple of seconds just with my cell phone plugged.
I don’t know what the problem is, i have way enough juice, it just shuts down.
I used to have a 1000W inverter but the fuses always busted out.
This one, I checked all the fuses are good

Greetings!

What do you have the inverter hooked up to, the battery or the charge controller?
Cheers!

"Old school, cheap, simple, reliable, and easily replaceable for the win!" ~ Traveler@Heart

Try reading this. It’s a tutorial that I wrote about installing power in a camper van.

I purchased an inverter AIMS POWER and installed it in my motor home and love it. This was version 2.0 of my generator’s electrification project. I had first purchased a modified sine 3,500-watt inverter which I powered from 4 six volt golf cart batteries. The modified sine unit was good but my microwave and other electronics didn’t like the square wave. Another problem is that the AC voltage declined all the way down to 85 volts as the batteries discharged. My Aims unit puts out 121-123 volts at 60 cps all the way down to low voltage cutoff.

Those 2 wire devices are 12v dc. (Make sure they are though)

You can get cheap rocker/toggle switches for them or hook them up to a relay.

Yes you will want to fuse EVERYTHING connected to the battery. You can get fuse holders or make your own pretty easily.

Yes you can probably tap off of the power inverter inputs as a fan and led lights will likely not draw much amperage at all and won’t effect the inverter. However, you still want to put a fuse between the fan/LED lights and the inverter 12v inputs. Check the amperage draw on the led’s and the fan. Or do what I do - try a small fuse first, then go the next size up if it blows under normal usage. This allows the best protection in case of any problems. One main issue with fuses people have are the fuse holders of fuses melting - not from overdraw but because of poor connections. Make sure you use the correct size connectors for everything.

Greetings!

Re: Fuses

Fuses are designed to protect the wiring, and should be sized for less amperage than the wire is designed to carry. Melted fuse holders are usually the result of using too large of a fuse.

Edit: The fuses should be sized for the smallest wire in the circuit. Often the smallest wire is the one going to an inline fuse holder…

Cheers!

“Everything should be made as simple as possible." ~ Einstein