Shoreside + Solar Question

Hello, I have an small travel trailer and am interested in maybe downsizing to a van in the future. I have a question about electrical systems. I have a 30 amp system, and I am going to be parked in front of my parents house to do some work so I will only have access to 15 amp. My question is: Can I use a solar panel I recently purchased hooked up to the battery to supplement some of the energy Iā€™m missing so I can use the electricity a little more comfortably while Iā€™m there? Is there danger to the rig or myself in doing this? Iā€™m so hesitant whenever it comes to electricity so I could really use any education you all are willing to share. Thanks! #VanLifeSummit

Greetings & Welcome!

They have adapters so you can just plug in with no worries, might not work for A/C, microwaves, induction cooktops, or heaters, but nearly everything else should work.

Cheers!

"A cheap factory camper van or motorhome beats
an expensive project every time." ~ Truth_Matters!

Yes I have the 15 amp adapter already and plan to use it. Iā€™m wondering if I can pair it with some solar panels I bought. I want to use both simultaneously.

Greetings!

The solar is just a battery charger, totally unreliable for anything else. All of your loads need to be hooked up to the house battery(s) (possibly via an inverter) or a generator or shore power. Solar IS NOT a steady reliable power source like a battery, a generator, or shore power.

Example wiring orders:

cb=circuit breaker
hb=house battery(s)
sp=shore power
cc=solar charge controller
c/c=converter charger

Starter Battery ā†’ fuse/cb ā†’ isolator ā†’ fuse/cb ā†’ hb

Solar ā†’ fuse/cb ā†’ cc ā†’ fuse/cb ā†’ hb

sp ā†’ fuse/cb ->battery charger ā†’ fuse/cb ->hb

sp ā†’ fuse/cb ā†’ c/c (charger output) ā†’ fuse/cb ->hb

sp ā†’ fuse/cb ā†’ c/c (converter output) ā†’ 12v fuse box/cbs ā†’ 12v loads

sp ā†’ fuse box/cbs ā†’ indoor outlets

hb ā†’ fuse box/cbs ā†’ 12v loads/outlets/appliances

hb ā†’ fuse/cb ā†’ inverter ā†’ fuse box/cbs ā†’ indoor outlets

My personal system, simple & reliable:

Starter Battery ā†’ cb ā†’ isolator ā†’ cb ā†’ house battery ā†’ 8x fused acc. outlets

Generator/sp ā†’ extension cord through window ā†’ outlet strip

Cheers!

"Count your blesssings, for they are many." ~ Unknown

1 Like