Roof deck ideas?

Greetings! My name is Ian and I live in Alaska.

My wife and I just purchased our first van with the intent to convert it into a camper. The van is a 2003 Chevy Express 2500. It seems to be a great van, even though it doesn’t have the headroom of a Sprinter or Transit, etc.

Anyway, the van came with a massive front grille guard (not sure how useful but it looks cool) and a full length roof rack and ladder. I’ll try to include a picture.

My question is this: Does anyone have any awesome ideas on how to use this roof rack? Obviously it could be used to transport gear, and even as a sitting area (deck?) but I was hoping you all would have some cool ideas that I haven’t thought of yet…

Thanks!
vanpic

1 Like

Greetings & Welcome!

Roofs & roof racks present multiple problems. Vehicle roofs are not designed to walk on, and roof racks put all that weight on your rain gutters or other small mounting points. If all that weight was equally distributed across the whole roof, it would be a much better scenario.

Typically people doing roof decks use a grid work of contoured ribs to more equally distribute the weight.

Cheers!

"The less you have that CAN go wrong, the less you have that WILL go wrong!" ~Murphy

1 Like