There are a million ways to make couches into beds and the best way is very much dependent on your situation.
We went with the VW Rock and Roll Hinge because of the ease of use and the large amount of accessible storage the design provides.
- It works for both a double fold (our application shown above) or a triple fold (classic application shown below).
- They go from bed to couch and back again in under 30 seconds (Frequent Stops IG).
- They provide storage that is the same size as the base of your couch. You never have to remove the cushions!
- The plywood requires some extra support when making a long span over 48". We used 1" by 2" angle iron along the edge.
- They are a bit pricy, just over $100 dollars. When making a double fold there is a gap between the bed and the wall (we made foam inserts to fill this gap and metal supports to let the back rest on the wall). Although you can use that gap to store your bedding (circled portion of the image below).
We are currently working on a second build that uses another system and we would love to hear what other bed systems people have had success with.**
The Frequent Stops Crew