Removing Wheelchair Lifts Question

How easy or hard is it to get a wheelchair lift removed from a van? Would you buy one where you had to remove a lift? I saw a good deal on FBook Mktpl but I’m not ready to buy yet. I’ve often wondered if I should buy one like that. I searched the forums but didn’t find any answers.

Greetings!

I’ve had two of them, I liked them due to the high tops.

I removed the first one myself, it wasn’t too complicated, but it was heavy & bulky. In the end, I used a cherry picker to finally get it out by myself. It sold quickly for $750.

The second one, I called up a medical supply store that sold & installed them. They uninstalled it, removed it with a forklift, and paid me $1250 for it. It was one that they had sold & installed originally, and had their tag on it.

Both vans already had a second deep cycle battery installed with an isolator to run the ramp. A win/win for me.

Cheers!

“Everything should be made as simple as possible." ~ Einstein

1 Like

I just had one uninstalled from my high-top Ford van by a regular auto mechanic. They are pretty heavy but I was able to get it out with a forklift. I still have the lift and am trying to sell it online via Craigslist

2 Likes

I think this would be the best plan if I bought one. I could drive the van to the place to make it convenient for them. Even if I could get it out myself, and there’s no way I’d try that, I wouldn’t have anywhere to store it. I’d need it taken out and taken away.

You obviously have someplace to store it. I wouldn’t have that, so I’d need someone to remove it and take it. How much are you listing it for at CL?

I have it listed for $700, but so far no real takers on it. I might end up donating it to a local nonprofit and take the tax deduction.

1 Like

Don’t forget, others suggest contacting medical supply companies, though a non-profit would be glad to have.

At MoveMobility, our focus is simple: to help our customers find the ideal wheelchair accessible vehicles to meet their needs. We want you to not only find the perfect fit for your unique preferences, but we also want your mobility vehicle to operate smoothly for many years to come.

Oh, I also had such a situation.