Relationships out on the road . . . .possible?

Speaking for myself part of the reason I’m going to eventually move into a van is to get away from bloody people, generally I’ve found that sooner or later I prefer my own company rather than deal with others.

Don’t get me wrong I like people but only when I can turn around and walk away when I find it all gets too much

That’s why I do the job I do, on my bike all day long out on the road.

It struck me the other day that in adopting this lifestyle I’m also resigned (probably) to the fact I will be opting out of a “normal” relationship?

But looking at what goes on in the USA it seems as if they have a far more structured approach to this lifestyle than we do over here (maybe I’m wrong apologies if I have)

I don’t really want to spend the rest of my life alone (but hey if I have to then so be it) and so I was wondering if there are others out there who have wondered the same thing?

Are there sites that make it possible to meet others do we have to be alone are relationships still possible

any thoughts?

1 Like

Greetings!

While I can’t speak for anyone else, I am mainly a city camper, and I have girlfriends all over the country as well as regular friends. Sometimes they’ll travel with me for a while, some I only see when I’m in their area, but one thing is for sure, we always have a good time.

I’ve met most of them right at my doorstep while parked in cities. I don’t believe in stealth or hiding, when I pick an area to park in I’ll usually either sit in my van with my side door open, or sit on the doorstep, and greet people passing by. Maybe just a smile, a nod, or a hello, and sometimes lengthy conversations. I’ll stay in one area sometimes for months, and I like to get to know my neighbors, and also be a good neighbor. If the vibe isn’t right for that, I’ll change locations, but that is actually rare.

If people know who you are and what you’re all about, and you’re a good person, you can actually be a welcomed addition to the neighborhood. That is what I strive for. I’m just a traveling worker looking for a safe place to stay while I’m in the area. Nothing scary about that. Instead of a sketchy homeless creep, I am seen as who I am, someone who wants to be a good neighbor.

That being said, I am generally a people person who enjoys the company of others, and enjoys helping others. I want to be a positive influence on whatever neighborhood I’m staying in, and not a negative one.

Cheers!

"Proper Planning is preferable to premature failure" ~ DreamLife

2 Likes

I’ve wondered the same Michael, whether or not this might end up as an extremely isolating experience. Especially considering my interest is primarily in Boondocking out in BLM and National Forest lands. I had asked a bit ago about meetings and such, Van_Dweller actually posted a link that showed a bunch of meetups. For safety, companionship, and more I will definitely hit up those events so that I can meet other like-minded people.

That list was for the US, but I’m sure there has to be something similar over your way. If not, maybe consider starting a group on “Meet Up”? One of the groups over this way that helps people adjust to this new lifestyle uses that site, so it might work for you as well. Not exactly an answer to your question, unfortunately, but just a thought. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh-h I completely understand you! I really enjoy a company of myself and I can’t stand being on public for a long time…anyway, it’s difficult for me to spend a whole week with anyone.
But at the same time I can’t live alone all the time, sometimes I need a friend or relationship.
I don’t know how to solve this problem neither.

1 Like

Everyone’s different. But if you don’t try - you will never know.