Question about camper electrics

Greetings everyone,
I have a few questions about the electric setup and hopefully someone can help. I’ve just installed a 280w solar system with a 12v 140ah deep cycle battery, inverter and charge controller.
I want to add a second battery and split charge from the starter battery as well.

My questions are:
1 . Do I need to wire the split charge through the charge controller or can it go straight to the battery? (Also I’m assuming both the solar system and split charge system need to be feeding the same battery)

1. Does wiring the second battery in parallel require me to have a fuse or anything between the batteries or can it be a straight connection?

Thanks, Henry :v:

Greetings & Welcome!

1 . Do I need to wire the split charge through the charge controller or can it go straight to the battery?

The isolator/relay/solenoid goes from the starter battery to your house battery(s). No extra regulator is needed. A third wire goes to your fuse box, to a fuse that only has power going to it when your key is turned on.

1. Does wiring the second battery in parallel require me to have a fuse or anything between the batteries or can it be a straight connection?

Most people don’t, but it couldn’t hurt. But there should be a fuse or breaker between your charge controller and the battery(s), and one immediately leaving your house battery(s). Every positive wire should have a fuse or breaker, closest to where the power is coming from.

Cheers!

"It’s nice to be important but it’s more important to be nice." ~ Nature Lover

Thanks for your reply! I don’t have a fuse between the charge controller and the battery, I’d assume the charge controller has one built in. Should I stil have a fuse?
I have a fuse between the starter battery and the volt sensitive relay, and between the relay and the leisure battery.
Am I ok to wire to the relay leisure battery as in the photo? The two outer connections are the new ones from the relay.

This is how my relay looks as well :v:

Yea you should have fuse between the controller and the battery. If you are using non sealed lead acid batteries they should also be vented to the outside.