Pulled the Trigger on a Solid Fuel Heater

1 Like

Greetings!

Itā€™s hard to beat an indoor campfire on a cold, or wet/windy evening. I can see the flames on my heater too, and sometimes fire up my kerosene lantern too, just for the cozy ambiance.

Weā€™ve already got snow up here in Minneapolis, what an abrupt change from S. Florida! Brrrrrrrrā€¦

Cheers!

"Don't be scared, BE PREPARED!" ~ Road Warrior

1 Like

Stay warm!..

I might try to mine some coal locally. Here in New Mexico bituminous coal is pretty accessible at the surface. A few hours should yield a few years of what I need. Iā€™ll use coal to keep the fire going overnight.

Ten years ago the State hired me to investigate an underground coal mine fire that had been burning for 40 years (Iā€™m a geologist). They were worried that it would reach a nearby housing development. I was able to put their fears to rest. Interesting project - we drilled right into the burning underground coal fire.

Greetings!

The knowledge of others sometimes amazes me. I wouldnā€™t have a clue where to find coalā€¦ Only store bought BBQ charcoal. I did know a place where I could get free presto log type pieces from a furniture store that made them out of their sawdust. They gave the broken ones away for free, so whenever I was in the area I would pick up a tote full for campfires.

I was hoping once I got back up North here, Iā€™d be able to enjoy a few campfires before winterā€¦ No such luck, snow came firstā€¦ I guess I should count my blessings though, other than campouts/gatherings and eating out a few times a week, the pandemic has had very little effect on me. My business hasnā€™t suffered, and my goal of totally automatic website income is slowly approaching my goals.

Iā€™ve just about got all my friends squared away, probably my last winter here unless I return for ice fishing, and one more summer in Florida, and by then my websites should be making $100k/year, hopefully the pandemic will be over, and Iā€™ll be totally free to wander at will, which is something Iā€™ve truly been missing. BUTā€¦ Helping friends in need is important too!

Cheers!

"Knowledge is power, but only action makes it happen." ~ Off_Grid

1 Like

Sounds like you went from the frying pan into the freezer. The weather is changing fast here in New Mexico too. It was in the 70s and 80s last week, and tomorrow the high will be around 40. Albuquerque is a mile-high city, so the seasons change fast, but it doesnā€™t get too hot in the summer and most winters arenā€™t too cold. Snow is usually melted by afternoon or the next day here, but the mountains stay snow-capped all winter. Ski in the morning and a motorcycle ride in the afternoon.

Greetings!

Heheā€¦ Yeah, itā€™s in the 20ā€™s and snowing hard at the moment, but Iā€™m cozy & working inside my van today. Itā€™s actually beautiful with all my windows, and inside with my heat.

Cheers!

"Opportunities are everywhere, but only action makes it happen." ~ Van_Dweller

Albuquerque, New Mexico today. Weā€™re expecting two more days of this.

1 Like

Greetings!

Perfect chance to try out your new heater! :wink:

My van really sticks out up here, while everybody elseā€™s rigs are covered in snow or ice, mine looks like summer time because running my heater keeps all the snow & ice melted off.

Cheers!

"Opportunities are everywhere, but only action makes it happen." ~ Van_Dweller

Wonderful using charcoal in the cold weather - will have to try it with anthracite for a longer burn next time. Produces plenty of heat to brew a cup of coffee or cook.

image1 5

1 Like