Portable vs Fitted Appliances for Cheap First time Build?

Hey, new here!

I’m looking simple options to get started with a first time campervan

As a single person I dont need much space and it will be my first vehicle too so I’ve opted for something like a cheap, older Citroen Berlingo which will be easier to drive and I can get one of those ready made conversion modules to go in the back.

Then add to this with cheap portable appliances that are also ready to use like, a camping toilet, camping stove, a USB shower and bucket, a pop up tent for the shower and toilet, a 12v cooler box and a decent portable power station - like the jackery 500 or 1000 and possibly a solar panel or 2 to go with it. Also might need to get a diesel heater fitted by someone if I cant find a suitable portable heater. Ill probably have to boil water for my showers since I wont have a gas system fitted meaning ill also have to be creative with my meals as I wont have gas to run the cooler box 24/7.

I do like this idea though because I dont need to mess about with DIY installing things, learning etc and can get on the road enjoying my travels and moving from campsite to campsite working where ever I have internet connection. Thats the other thing I need - a decent 4g/5g router/roof booster

However…

The other part of me is really attracted to the idea of designing a larger build, something like a Ford Transit, and spending more time and money, obviously learning all the DIY thats needed along the way and just building the ultimate home on wheels thats going to be much nicer to live in in the long run.

To help me decide, I was wondering if anyone out there can share their experiences living in a smaller van/car conversion getting by with just the essential portable equipment rather than fully fitted electrics/gas etc, whether that has worked for you while full time touring or whether it led to regret later on and needing to upgrade? If so what was it that became bothersome?

I suppose I could do both, starting with option 1 while I figure out my needs and save up for the bigger project. But, lets say the Citroen Berlingo, conversion module + all the portable gear costs a total of £4000 - how would this compare to kind of build I could expect if I spend that £4000 on a Ford Transit, electric/gas system, other materials and fitting it all myself?

Or spending the £4000 on an older prebuilt camper or caravan?

I guess I want the best bang for buck really, and I dont mind spending more, I just want to avoid wasting money if you think Ill only end up wanting to upgrade later anyway

Thanks for reading, I look forward to hearing about your setups, whats worked and whats not and what you think would be the best way in for me :slight_smile:

Cheers, Dave

A lot of people do what they call "No Builds’. They add items as they see fit or need. There are a ton of videos showing how do gravity water systems. Reducing your need for power. Your shower set up is great considering that a majority of vans dont have a shower. A lot of people tend to shower at a gym or friends house, camp ground and so on.
some people use mini wood stoves or gas heaters. Set ups are pretty simple. Keep a CO2 monitor in your van with ANY heater.
for cooking I have a propane burner, electric burner, bbq, and a small toaster oven. covers all my bases for cooking with and without electric.
Potty really depends. Cassette is ok if youre willing to dump it when needed. Some people have composting potties. Plenty of videos for that.
There are mini water heaters for showering and dishes. Not too expensive. Or as you said, boil it as you need it. There are some pretty nifty instant boil pots that are12 volt items you can use as well.
Your solar and power box will work great! Go with anything that is more than 300 watts.
I really think it comes down to needs and if you want fancy or basic.
By the way…people here have some awesome advice!! I have a tiny travel trailer, home built, and I have gotten some great advice on all kinds of set ups.
I know this is an older post, hopefully someone will b able to learn from it.

Hi Dave!
Just wondering how you made out? Did you end up upgrading our staying in your original vehicle?

Just to add to the convo… Here in Ontario you can buy a very affordable day pass to all the provincial parks. It’s about $115 Canadian. It allows you to use all the facilities such as garbage recycling water fill and dumping stations showers and flushing toilets and of course a beautiful place to park during the day with hiking trails etc, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. Although it is an annual pass, some provincial parks are closed in the winter and still others have only partial facilities available. However I have found the past to be extremely worthwhile.

Perhaps there is something like that in your country? I see you referred to £ as money so I’m guessing Great Britain?
Hope that helps the next folks who are reading this thread.

I’ve done three builds - a “no build” NV200, a fully built out NV200, and finally a Sprinter 2500 converted from an ambulance to a camper (in process).

The no build had the advantage of being really flexible and I could still use it as a cargo van, but everything was always a mess and things broke often. It didn’t take me long to realize I wanted something built out.

So I built out the NV200 using my own design and mostly Ikea furniture. I couldn’t stand up in it, but I didn’t really mind. I travelled all over the US in it for two years, and loved it. But after awhile, I craved more space. I wanted to take my inflatable kayak with me, for example, and there was just no space other than the roof rack.

So I sold the NV200 (at a large profit) and bought a 2011 Sprinter Ambulance. I do regret getting a Sprinter as repairs have been a nightmare, but the van itself is great. I love the space, and the size isn’t too much problem to deal with in cities as the 144 wheel base fits in normal parking spaces.

I do miss my NV200 from time to time, but the Sprinter with its high top is much, much more comfortable as home.

Good luck in your journey!

1 Like