Planning van life with a dog?

I am currently planning to travel Europe with a friend.
We plan to have separate vans as we appreciate our own space and both have dogs.
However one thing that’s worrying me is the possibility of having to leave her in the van be that for groceries or anything else that crops up, and we would like to get working visas to possibly work for a while before we move to somewhere else. My dog IS crate trained from a pup and finds safety in being in there when I go out to work normally (I have tried to leave her in the house, she eats anything in sight be that sofas or walls… and have tried her in a bigger space like the kitchen, she howled for 3 hours and cried!)
I am also aware of any “relatively hot” weather we might face.
We are both VERY new to travelling, and won’t be going for another 2 years, but are taking this into consideration with the choice of van… I have a small Jack Russel size breed and my friend has a Labrador.
Also are there any other things we should definitely take into consideration and think about in the meantime.
Thankyou!

1 Like

We have a.c. and a strong fan in our can, but if temps are hot we don’t leave our dog unattended for more than about 15 minutes. You can buy devices that can send you alerts about temps in your van. But in the end of the day, it is a vehicle, and we won’t risk it. We have had our inverter fail on us and the a.c shut down, we know those are possibilities so we don’t take the risk. If we need to grocery shop when it is that hot, one of us stays with the dog. Or we plan to do that stuff in the evening when it cools down.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more!
If you’re going to travel with your dog (highly recommended) than figure out a way to keep the dog with you or you with the dog.

Any alerts/cameras etc are going to be entirely reliant upon having a WiFi signal in the van at all times, which you likely won’t have throughout Europe. A/Cis a huge power draw inside a van for any extended running and vans get hot fast.

It also sounds like your pup already has a bit of separation anxiety in a house and you’re taking about moving into a scenario that’s going to be changing daily with lots of strangers and strange places.

Please, for the sake of your dog- take the time to do some extensive travel with your pup here and see how the lifestyle fits before shipping to Europe and learning on the fly.

2 Likes