Planning on living in my honda odyssey mini van and no one supports it

Hello, everyone I’m Belle (21) and I am a college student. I am in a program that requires me to do a ten-month practical and relocate to a small rural hospital. I was placed in a site that is quite far away from my hometown. I am in Alberta, Canada and experience some really harsh winters. Like I’m talking -40C. Before anyone discourages me to not do this I genuinely have no choice because housing is not affordable nor is it available. Driving back and forth is not an option either, since it is an hour and fifteen-minute drive and keep in mind the possible snow storms. Before I disclose my plan please keep in mind that this is a temporary solution. If it gets too harsh regardless of the season I will end up getting a hotel for the night. If housing were to magically appear at a reasonable price for a college student I would take it. I also do plan to travel home during the weekends or whenever I can so laundry is not a problem for me.

Here is my plan:
-take out the back and middle seats of the Odyssey and place a sleeping bag with a cot (I am 5’0)
-buy one or two generators/battery (one solar) to keep my electronics running like a space heater, a small fridge (for deli meats or meats in general), an electric stove or a panini press (I will obviously not be running all of these at the same time)
-install thick curtains surrounding the back of the van (sleeping area) for privacy and to keep warmth
-get cameras for a sense of security
-buy a membership at the local recreation center to access the showers, gyms, etc.
-I have a parking space available near my hospital site that has outlets

Honestly, I think I am prepared for this and it isn’t a permanent thing. It is a plan for not-so-harsh winters and or days when I do not have the energy to drive back.

Here are my concerns:
-is there a safety issue I am missing?
-what about ventilation for the winter?
-how should I stay warm without installing any insulation other than the curtains? If this is not possible is there easy insulations that I could install and take apart?
-is it okay to run a space heater in the van?
-what should I read to gain more knowledge about van life?
-any product recommendations that I an get here in Canada?

I really appreciate all the advice and help I can get. Everyone around me has been pretty unsupportive of this plan but I genuinely have no choice ATM. Thank you for your help!!!

1st,This isn’t to hurt your feelings.
Safety concerns? Yes ! It’s called dying or winding up in the hospital. Along with a multi thousand dollar bill for rescue services.
I could write a book on the things that could go very wrong with your lack of experience extreme camping. Please try to consider a different option.

1 Like

Again I understand the concerns. I am still looking for other options it is a temporary solution and as I said in my post if things get too harsh obviously I will check myself into a hotel. I am not taking the van to travel everywhere. All I need is to be able to DRIVE HOME AND SLEEP OR NAP in the vehicle before driving home. Let me be clear on this I DO NOT HAVE ANOTHER CHOICE and I have CONSIDERED OTHER OPTIONS. It is either I drop out cause I can’t make it to my hospital site or I find a TEMPORARY accommodation while still looking for housing available. I AM NOT GOING CAMPING TRIPS OR TAKING THE VAN ON ADVENTURES. I do plan on driving back and forth for now. But what about the days I am so tired after working and learning at the hospital? Should I go back on the road and cause an accident instead? I am aware of the risks which is why I went on this forum. I am here to learn and educate myself about van life. Instead of trying to scare please just reconsider because I have heard it all from my parents BUT THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO. My practicum is coming and there is no way I am dropping out after working my ass off in school. I am also not getting paid for this internship and there is no way I can afford a thousand dollar rent on a student budget.

Newbie here and no van (yet) but I also live in Canada and taking winters into consideration. I found a guy on YouTube that lives in his van in Alberta. He’s got some videos on living through the winters.

https://www.youtube.com/@VanlifePLUS

Belle
Here are my two cents or one Canadian Loonie in regards to your concerns:

Here are my concerns:
-is there a safety issue I am missing?
One pops to mind is the condensation that will accumulate inside your vehicle while you hang out and sleep. It can be a challenge to adequately vent this in the cold times and maintain heat.
-what about ventilation for the winter?
You will be opening windows a bit and or running a vent fan (if you have one). But the vehicle’s defroster may be the best option with the engine running.
-how should I stay warm without installing any insulation other than the curtains? If this is not possible is there easy insulations that I could install and take apart?
I strongly suggest to get bulk Reflectix and cut it to cover your windows. Glue/tape strong, small magnets to the Reflectix for quick install and take down. If the interior of your vehicle is not magnetic, you can install large (Loonie sized) metal washers using a hand rivet gun around the windows to mate up with the locations of the magnets. I can put up all eight of my Reflectix covers in less than a minute with this system.
-is it okay to run a space heater in the van?
Electric, sure with all combustibles away from it. Gas, not really, not without adequate make-up air/ventilation. If you do, make damn sure you have a carbon monoxide detector.
-what should I read to gain more knowledge about van life?
Google is your friend! The knowledge of van life humanity is at your fingertips. I do suggest you research tips and techniques for extreme winter camping and see what you can apply to your situation.
-any product recommendations that I an get here in Canada?
I don’t have any recommendations.
Best of luck to you.
Nancy

Hi Belle,
I have a Toyota Sienna that I have converted to a camper with a ‘tear drop type’ kitchen at the rear. I plan to buy a special tent that goes at the rear and allows the hatch to open. I have a bed that converts to a bench for daytime. It pulls out to make the bed. I had to make it this way because I use a CPAP machine and need the battery, inverter and DC/DC MPPT charge controller under it. I have two 100W solar panels which fit exactly between the rails of the roof rack. I also have a diesel heater for the cold nights. Now when I say ‘cold nights’ I am talking like 5 degrees or so here on Vancouver Island BC. I don’t know that I would try to stay in it at -40 … I followed a plan I found on You Tube for the kitchen part. The rest I had to design myself. Before I installed the diesel heater, I had to start the van to heat it up which is a dangerous situation as fumes can always leak into the inside when a vehicle is idling and not moving. I would advise against doing that. The diesel heater works well but again must be installed correctly so as not to allow fumes to leak in. I am a firm believer in installing the proper alarms to monitor for gasses, and have done so. I wish you well with your endeavour and caution against being in remote areas alone.

Greetings!

Without shore power (electric outlets), electric heating or cooking isn’t going to work, and in the winter, solar might be next to useless as well. For this reason, all of my essentials are fuel powered rather than electric.

These “generators” you are speaking of likely aren’t generators at all, and are only batteries with added goodies like outlets. I wouldn’t want to count on them unless you charge them while at work, or where you’re parked with shore power. That being said, if you’re sure you’ll always have shore power, I’d skip those altogether, they’d just be an unneeded added expense.

An electric blanket can go a long ways for keeping you warm while sleeping, and they be found in both 12vdc and usb models as well as regular electric. Old time hot water bottles still work quite well too.

Camp stoves don’t require electricity, and can be used for carefully for heating as well with proper ventilation.

A simple tent over your bed, made from a comforter or moving blanket, can really help keep the warmth in, as well as keeping prying eyes out.

I would strongly suggest a portable toilet for late night or emergency purposes. I even prefer my own shower.

Everything can be as simple or as complicated as you choose to make it. I prefer simple.

Cheers!

"A wise man learns from both the successes & failures of others." ~ Off Grid