Passenger, crew, or cargo + extra seats?

Hi everybody!

Noob here following the dream. I want to get a van and converting it at some point in my life. I’m try to figure out what would be the best bet in order to use it with my whole family, wife and 2 children.
So, I need 2 extra seats.

My discussion here would be wether is better to find a van already with extra seats installed (crew or passenger), or adding 2 extra seats to the cargo area.

I wonder what’s best in terms of costs and safety.

Thanks
Gian

07949217777. Tarian.

I have some beautiful " Real leather seats " They are reclining seats, rear table trays, and drink holders, storage pockets, arm rests and fitted tested seatbelts built into the seats.

These seats are normally £1000+ but will sell £500 per double with fitting brackets as I need to start my own van project when ive raised £10000.

Im in South Wales CF398DP.

With all respect, that doesn’t answer my question.
I see just an attempt to sell your seats to me.

So please, let’s keep this thread clean.

Thanks.

Greetings & Welcome!

I didn’t see where you’re located, and I know laws vary in different areas.

I like the layout of the older VW Westfalia’s. Regardless of whether you’re buying one pre-made, or converting it yourself, I think their layout is well thought out.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

You’ve identified a key issue that I think can be overlooked in the eagerness to build. Needs will probably change. The vehicle is your biggest expense. Each modification can add expense and reduce flexibility for other uses. We started with an empty VW bus and I replaced the rear bench seat with a homemade scissors-mechanism fold-down bench/double bed. That’s all. No cabinets, sink, toilet etc. The van was still useful for passengers, full plywood sheets, furniture, etc. Going camping, our gear and food went into totes and we brought a cooler, Coleman stove, etc. The kids went on the rear bench, belted. Our next vehicle was a full-size van, importantly on a standard wheelbase (not extended), as we like to take backroads to cool places. Again, we chose not to build out cabinetry, etc. and keep the usage flexibility. This van has captains chairs front and back plus a rear bench. When we traveled with the kids, we popped out the rear bench and left it home. When it’s just my wife and I, we take out all but the front seats and add a knockdown bed that doubles as a couch during the day. We can haul 7 passengers when we need to or a stack of 4x8 plywood sheets at other times. When we’re not camping, we’re not hauling around cabinetry, tanks, etc. We’ve helped friends move, keeping furniture dry across town. It has worked very well.

Without expanding up, I’m not sure there’s a way to sleep 4 unless 2 are small kids.

If you are going to live in the van full time, there may be a stronger argument to build out the cabinetry, electrical, plumbing, etc., but if you’re not using all of it nearly all of the time, I think losing that flexibility is an expensive problem. I’m sure many will disagree with me…

I suspect it’s more of a rig than you’re looking for, but we’re selling our van now. You can see photos of how we approached these problems in our Craig’s List ad at:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/d/tacoma-x4-ford-van/7667878320.html

Greetings!

I’m a huge fan of portable, modular, no build builds. I prefer moving my furniture in and securing it, to actually building it in.

Cheers!

"Day Labor = Work Today, Get Paid Today" ~ Homeless-No-More