Other options on AC

I dont have $1000+ to spend on a rood AC unit, and i live in Texas, so AC is crucial. I guess my options are drilling a hole and installung a window unit or drilling a smaller hole for the vent of a portable standing unit

I was wondering whos done this or has other options and the result.

I have a 2020 transit cargo ext high roof.

Ive also seen like truck AC units for like 200 and some DC units for like 500

Sometimes down here we hust drill a couple holes in a cooler and use a fan in one to make a ghetto AC but i feel like that much moisture could be an issue

Thanks

Edit. Im not putting windows in just a maxfan delux. The thought is lots of insulation and AC to combat the 100+ degree weather

Greetings!

The indirect style of swamp coolers do not add moisture to the air like the direct style does. The indirect style uses a radiator for the heat exchanger just like a compressor style a/c does, and it exhausts the moist air back outside of the the van. I set mine up to sit on the passenger seat and utilize an open passenger window. Works beautifully and uses under 2a @ 12vdc.

A second option is a peltier powered unit. It’s basically the same as the indirect swamp cooler described above, except it uses a peltier chip to heat/cool the water running through the radiator instead of evaporation. This eliminates the need for water refills, but uses slightly more power, 5a @ 12vdc. Since it doesn’t utilize evaporation, it does not require an open window. By reversing the polarity, they can also provide energy efficient heat.

Another option is non electrical, and uses a frozen container of water, something like a 1 gallon milk jug or larger, a sheet of aluminum foil (several layers thick works better), and heat powered wood stove fan. These fans are powered by a peltier chip, and cold can power them as well as heat, which then generates the power for the fan. You place the ice jug on the foil, with the fan in front of it also on the foil. The cold is transferred to the fan via the foil. Local convenience stores will usually happily freeze the ice jugs for you, and they typically last 24+ hours.

Dry ice in one cooler can also turn it into a freezer, and you can use it to freeze water jugs for a second cooler, or the above ice cooler. The frozen jugs prevent swamped food problems as well, because the melt water is contained.

For sleeping, non electric cooling blankets & sheets are also available.

Typical electric a/c’s just don’t really make much sense for most nomads, but we have many other better options available anyway.

Cheers!

"Life can be as simple or as complicated as you make it.
Simple is cheaper and more reliable."
~ Off Grid

1 Like

Thanks!thank you for the input!

I built the peltier on a small scale. I will be testing it out when it warms up here in Texas. Ill let you know how that goes.

However…I am interested in the non electrical one with foil works? Do you have a link or pic of one? Texas heat and humidity are brutal!

Greetings!

Cheers!

"Life can be as simple or as complicated as you make it.
Simple is cheaper and more reliable."
~ Off Grid

Hi VD, I’m hoping you have a picture of your indirect swamp cooler that you sit in the passenger seat. any or all info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings & Welcome!

I seem to be having trouble uploading pictures at the moment, so I’ll try again later.

Cheers!

"Accountability, responsibility, sustainability,
& creative solutions for the win." ~ Old_Soul

Greetings & Welcome!

Sorry, I don’t currently have it with me, and I don’t have pictures. I’m currently using a peltier heat pump for heating/cooling.

It was built using a tall kitchen trash can, like below, with the goal of sitting it on the passenger seat, being tall enough to utilize the window, and to have a large water capacity to require refilling less often.

Here’s some directions:

Cheers & holler if you need more!

"Accountability, responsibility, sustainability,
& creative solutions for the win." ~ Old_Soul