Old bloke hitting the road

its just a guess, but I’m thinking that the vast majority of those doing the van life are under forty. Correct me if I’ve got it badly wrong!
Anyway, after single parenting, then caring for ancient parents, the time is fast approaching for some me time.
With this in mind, I gave myself a budget and went out and bought a ten year old van to covert, the van is 80% done. My plan is to be ready for next spring, this should coincide with selling the house.
Any other mature vanlifers out there?

Greetings & Welcome!

I think the majority of full timers are still seniors, but it has been catching on with younger folks. Seniors with retirement income face far fewer challenges, than those who need to work & follow schedules.

I hit the road right out of high school as a traveling construction worker. Today, I’m a senior and make my living mostly online.

We’ll look forward to hearing more from you.

Cheers!

"Smiles are contagious, pass it on!" ~ Van_Dweller

Your life has just begun! Its time for new adventures, new excitement and new beginnings!! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for your encouragement! NY to Singapore? Now that’s a real journey… all the best, Steve

I turn 74 in a month, presently taking 9 months riding a motorcycle thru Europe. right now in Tuscany on a special diet, red wine and pasta! returning to the usa in January for a knee replacement, then buying a promaster, do the conversion, 3-4 month window, then hit the road. look in your rearview window about June 2020, might be me!

1 Like

oh wow! you are a full representative of “Age is just a number!”
i see that you are enjoying your full retirement!

1 Like

I just turned 50 this spring, bought a 1994 VW Eurovan and am heading south in a couple of days from Alaska (home) with my 2 dogs, skis and mountain bike to see what the world has in store. In my “new” experiences that I’ve had so far while traveling around Alaska, setting up the van and shaking out the bugs, van life is ageless! - safe travels to you :rainbow::sunglasses:

I’m turning 42 next month. Bought myself a Purple 2000 Ford E-150, which I have named “Purple Van!” I’ll be heading out of Colorado next year to explore the West coast. I’m spending this time getting it ready to live in. Purple van is my fresh start in life. Trust me it is never too late! :slight_smile: Good luck fellow traveler.

Greetings!

The west is one of my favorite places, especially Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. Lots of friendly people, and lots of campgrounds in the forest and near lakes, streams, rivers, or even the ocean.

Have you thought about how you plan to fund your travels? Lack of funding is one of the major failure points in this lifestyle. I always suggest that securing a reliable income should be the very first step in any lifestyle changes. With enough money, everything else becomes a whole lot easier.

Cheers!

"Proper Planning is preferable to premature failure" ~ DreamLife

I’ve always wanted to explore the west. I am eager to experience the natural beauty of these places, especially Oregon. I’ve heard it’s like a fairy tale. :butterfly:

As for funding, yes! I have been saving hard for 2+ years (living meagerly) to financially prepare myself for life on the road. At this point I have enough saved that I can live, without having to work, for a good long while. I have also accounted for any unforeseen mechanical issues as well. When I need to replenish my funds I will get a part-time job, and continue living in my van. Then I will head off to my next destination. That’s the plan anyway :sunglasses:

Greetings!

The Columbia River Gorge is beautiful, and Multnomah Falls is breathtaking. Take your time to see lots of sites in your travels, detours can lead to amazing things. On the coast there are bumper cars in Seaside, and the best Clam Chowder in the world at Moe’s in Lincoln City, along with some fresh salt water taffy from some candy shops there.

I tend to just google “attractions” anywhere along my route.

Cheers!

I just googled pics of the Columbia River Gorge and it looks amazing! I am putting that on my list of “places to see.” I like the idea of googling local attractions as I travel. This adventure of mine will be somewhat unplanned to keep it an adventure. However, I will have a destination in mind as I head out each day. I just love the idea of finding some beautiful place and staying as long as I like, or as long as allowed. I am just so anxious to hit the road, but I know I still have preparations to consider before then. Soon though…I’ll be free! At least until my funds run low. Then I’ll get a stupid job for a while. haha! :laughing:

Greetings!

My Dad was always point A to point B with no detours, but my Grandpa was the opposite, always taking the time to smell the roses. Needless to say, I much prefer his way.

Cheers!

1 Like

I much prefer your Grandpa’s way as well. My whole life has been point A to point B. Time for some exploration! :smiley:

2 Likes