No Introduction. How Rude of Me!

I have just realized that I just threw myself into this forum and started asking my burning questions - how rude! :slight_smile: So here we go.

I am an American woman living in The Netherlands. I work in cybersecurity, have my own company and am beginning to focus in on forensics, incident response and disaster recovery. I hope to stop working in a year or two and start traveling - in the meantime - my campervan is my “project” for 2022.

This week I purchased a 2014 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 with 35,000K miles on it for $21,000. Mercedes vans are literally everywhere over here and with Germany right “next door” parts and mechanics are easy to find. And here she/he is (it hasn’t had its gender-reveal party yet. . .)

I already have a Eco Flow Delta Pro 3400wH solar generator that can be charged from an car alternator, wall socket, EV station, or solar panels. (I also purchased 800w of solar panels (it can take 1600w of solar) which are portable.) Until I am ready to load them into the van - they will help keep my energy costs down in my home.) I own an off-grid property in northern NY and am used to living on solar exclusively - so it amazes me that this solar generator is already 3x bigger than my system there.

I am hoping to find a conversion kit simply because I don’t have the carpentry skills, etc to do it myself. (I also have a deathly fear of loud, scary machinery that can render me finger-less.) A decent conversion kit seems like it might be the right balance between the expense of a custom build and multiple trips to the ER and blood transfusions.

Regardless, this forum has already been a great help and I am deeply grateful that so many people contribute their time so graciously (shout out to Van Dweller here…!!!)

Take care all - stay safe - and glad to meet you even though I don’t know you - yet!

CBear

1 Like

Greetings!

Nice looking van! Do any of the windows behind the cab open?

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

No - they don’t open…but there are two of these very large ventilation windows in the roof…I’m thinking that with a fan, this might be sufficient…

Thoughts?

1 Like

Greetings!

Okay, definitely a cargo van that they added windows & roof vents to…

Those vents look larger than normal roof vents, escape hatch’s possibly. Can you measure them for me?

Heng’s makes retrofit roof vent fan upgrade kits, but they’re for the standard 14"x14" size RV roof vents, and it looks like yours are larger than that. We should be able to figure something out though. I’m fairly good at imagineering solutions.

Cheers!

OK - that’s good to know. The “escape” hatch could make sense - except it wouldn’t be for Americans - ahem. Fitting through that hatch could be an “issue” so to speak. But, notice the little metal hammers? There is one by each hatch - for breaking out in case of an accident. The van is coming “home” sometime next week - so - I will measure those out for you.

So - I have to ask. Why are cargo vans considered such a bad idea for a van conversion? I think I saw it here “Friends don’t let friends buy cargo vans…” So, now that I have inadvertently purchased one - what did I do wrong. BTW, here is a picture of my van’s “twin” with the seats still in place.

And, here you can see just how large those “vents” are…they’re truly huge.

And, by the way, if you have any spare imagining time :wink: - what the heck am I going to build over those massive dually wheel covers…??? I’m thinking bench or storage of some kind…

I will move this conversation over to The Build next go-round…probably more appropriate there.

Cheers!

Greetings!

Cargo vans cost considerably more to build, because they don’t come with pre-finished floor/walls/ceiling, plus very few people are happy living in or even weekending in a windowless box. With factory passenger vans, the windows in the back usually open, so you don’t need expensive roof vents either.

You’re actually in much better shape than most, because you do already have finished floor/walls/ceiling. It does look like those top hatches might be designed open too.

I just put sound insulation around the wheel wells, then built a box around them with a top opening lid. It didn’t add much storage space, but it’s where I keep my chains on one side, and tow strap & other recovery gear on both sides. Stuff I don’t need often.

In a different build, I built cupboards around them that went up to the bottom of the windows, which had shelves in them. Speaking of cupboards, I like to put sliding doors on them rather than swinging doors. The sliding doors stay shut while driving with no extra hardware needed, and still open & close even when there are other things close in front of them. No head or knee banging against open doors either.

I’d start by covering all the bare metal with carpet padding & automotive stretch carpet. For the walls/ceiling areas the stuff I like is kind of like felt. I’d do indoor/outdoor berber carpet over padding for the floor. The dead air space in the walls/ceiling is probably adequate. Between them that should stop any thermal bridging to help with temperature control. Looks like Home Depot carries the carpet.

Cheers!