New Vanlifer Looking to Purchase a Specific Model

Hi, my name is Victoria and I’m interested in starting van life. I haven’t purchased a van yet–trying to decide between a few models–and this will be my first vehicle. My build will not be fancy, just the basic necessities, and I’m more interested in making friends and discussing van types. I’m not looking for anything with a high roof or anything too tall like sprinters or ford transits, but I’d like a good reliable cargo van that can hold a lot. I’m buying used. I already have remote work set up and have a decent budget. I’d like a small van, maybe not longer than a typical minivan but not a minivan. I’ve looked at models like Ford Transit Connect and promaster city, but they don’t have very good reviews!

Would anyone suggest the best places/websites to buy vans, and what models seem to fit my preferences? So far, I’ve looked at Craiglist, FB Marketplace, eBay, and auction sites. Thank you and it’s a pleasure to be in the community!

2 Likes

Well, here’s a crazy thought since I think about this same question all the time. What about a VW Buzz?

I’ll look into that! Thank you!

1 Like

Victoria - find a couple of dealers that buy cargo vans from delivery companies. Many companies let go of vans after a year or two with only limited mileage (50,000 miles )
I purchased and converted a Dodge 2500 Ram Promaster - they have both 136’ and 159’’ and come with standard or high roof
It has worked out great - conversion vary on what you add - my conversion cost about the same as the van - but I saved thousands over cost of finished new or used factory van

Thank you! I’m glad it worked out for you :slight_smile: