New Van - Rust Prevention

Hi - I just ordered a new ProMaster and had a few questions regarding rust prevention. Do brand new, straight from the manufacturer, vans need to apply a rust prevention coat? Based on the tutorial, I would think the answer is no, however, if vans that are only a year old have rust, I want to make sure I do not get in this situation.

Greetings & Welcome!

A rust prevention coating if available is likely optional for an additional price. It may or may not be something the dealer can do for you.

Cheers!

“Everything should be made as simple as possible." ~ Einstein

The promasters are galvanized steel. So it already has decent protection. The bottom will will have some truck bed lining on the outer lower edges. It really won’t hurt to add additional protection.

Greetings!

@Bretly,

Is galvanization supposed to prevent rust? The reason I ask is because that’s what I always thought, yet I always see tons of rusty galvanized garbage cans…

Cheers!

“Everything should be made as simple as possible." ~ Einstein

It is and it seems to anywhere I have chipped paint. In regards to the garbage cans, unfortunately its just coated in zinc which can scratched off when things are thrown and tossed around.