New Life Chapter

Hello, Starting a new chapter in my life and have dreamed of Vanlife for a very long time. I just bought a 2024 Sprinter AWD 144 and have no idea of where to go from there. I live in the Dallas area and since I live life by just jumping in with both feet I need to be living in this van in about 1.5 months. thanks for any advise.

1 Like

Hi mickeymccollum241,
WELCOME! :grinning:

1 Like

I’d recommend watching Chrome’s vanlife experience on his Vancity Vanlife Youtube channel. He didn’t do a full out build at first. He used lots of temp cheaper items and lived in his van to see what worked and what didn’t. Good luck.

2 Likes

Welcome from the UK!

Remember the rule of 3’s and apply it accordingly to your life in you van…

3 minutes without air (adequate ventilation)

3 hours without shelter (insulation, heating/cooling, water ingress prevention etc)

3 days without water (goes without saying, but make sure you have access to water)

3 weeks without food (not so easy to fall foul of this one these days)

It’ll take time to come up with what works, but as long as you apply the principles of good planning, you can’t go far wrong!

I hope this helps…

1 Like

Greetings!

3 hours without shelter??? Never heard of that one…

Cheers!

"Life can be as simple or as complicated as you make it.
Simple is cheaper and more reliable."
~ Off Grid

@Van_Dweller I am from a marine background and it’s instilled into us during survival training…think cold water and abandoning ship.

Greetings!

Hmmm… Cold water could be much less than 3 hours without a survival suit…

Cheers!

"Life can be as simple or as complicated as you make it.
Simple is cheaper and more reliable."
~ Off Grid

1 Like

@mickeymccollum241 I’m in the north east part of DFW, and currently on my wall and ceiling insulation, if you need help sometime, let me know and I’ll see if I can help.

1 Like

the 3 hour timer is usually for extreme situations.

1 Like

Sprinter, excellent vehicle choice.
Incredibly reliable. Great choice, especially if you’re going to be living in it Mickey.

:slight_smile: