New here: excited to learn more

Hi everyone! I’m Kym. I have just completed a 3+ week road trip, which was something I had been dreaming of for a very long time. I absolutely loved it and did not want it to end. I traveled by car however, and stayed overnight in cheap motels. I realize this is quite different from actually living in a van or other vehicle, and I while I am pretty sure that vanlife is for me, I am here to learn as much as I can before making my decision. I’m looking forward to connecting with this community!

Greetings & Welcome!

It can be a great life if you plan it out well… Reliable income first and foremost. A lack of reliable income is one of the biggest failure points in this lifestyle. Money is the easiest fix for most of the problems you’ll encounter.

I normally suggest cheap factory camper vans or smallish motorhomes for newbies. They can usually be found MUCH cheaper than a DIY project, they’re move in ready, and usually have far more amenities. Don’t get suckered into gutting them and starting over, remodeling them, or even modifying them either. Use them as they were intended. If you keep them original, except for maybe cushion covers, if you ever decide to upgrade, you’re likely to get all your money back upon selling it. Modifying it will kill the resale value.

If you’re not mechanically inclined, take whatever you’re considering to a trusted mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection.

We’re here for any questions you might have, so keep us posted!

Cheers!

"A cheap factory camper beats an expensive project every time." ~ Promoters_Lie!