New enthusiast excited for travel

Hey Everyone,
I recently acquired a 1992 Dodge Ram B250. My wife’s family owned it for about 20 years and when they heard I was in search of a van, they gave it to me. I am currently in the assessment phase of my build. I am working in removing Seats, and checking for body damage. It’s in great shape engine wise, just have to keep a new distributor cap on hand, as that is apparently a known issue with the engine in that particular model.
I plan on using this van to travel to comic cons and video game tournaments. Many times it is too expensive to get a hotel room for a week for these events. As I progress with this project, I look forward to getting peoples opinions and learning from others experience.

1 Like

Greetings & Welcome!

Congratulations!

Don’t listen to any of the fools that will tell you to strip it! Just remove the seats, and move your new interior in. That will save you a ton of time, money, and hassles.

I live full time in a self converted passenger van, and in extreme weather conditions too, so let me know if you need any suggestions. I have everything, including a toilet and shower in mine, as well as heating, cooling, and self generated power. The total conversion cost under $300, and it is totally comfortable.

Cheers!

"Those who believe money can't buy hapiness, don't have either." ~ An Anonymous Vandweller

1 Like

Thanks for the Tip! Mine is very small, smaller than I had intended but it will do I think. Especially given that I only need to live in it for about a week at a time. Did you build interior furniture yourself? Like storage and such.

Greetings!

Nope, didn’t build anything. Just bought what I wanted, moved it in, then secured it. Simple, cheap, and easy. Total conversion cost a little under $300, but includes sofa/bed, kitchen, bathroom w/ toilet & shower, heating, cooling, ventilation, & power.

Cheers!

"Those who believe money can't buy hapiness, don't have either." ~ An Anonymous Vandweller

Welcome @XxELxJOBIDIAxX! I agree with @Van_Dweller that it’s likely best to try it out as-is, especially since you’re only going to be using it for trips. Once you do a few trial runs, you’ll learn SO MUCH about exactly what you want/need in the van and then you can decide if you want permanent cabinetry or if non-built-in secured storage/bed works well for you. I’ve been full-time in my fully-built-out cargo van for 10 months and it would have been nice to have a trial period where I could test things out before everything was permanently built. Happy vanning!!

1 Like