Need help for Sleeping setup for 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander LS ZG Auto 4x4 MY07

Hi,

I am needing some help to set up the sleeping/living setup for 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander LS ZG Auto 4x4 MY07.

I am 6’3/190cm, and will need the following;

1. Bed
  2. Power station
  3. Fridge
  4. Storage compartments (probably under the bed)
  5. Anything else necessary.

If anyone has any photos or plans to help me out it would be appreciated. Thanks :slight_smile:

Greetings!

There are multiple ways to make the bed top. Many people just use plywood. I go the extra mile and make a frame out of metal electrical conduit, do a rope/string type hammock design for the top, and secure it to the frame using elastic cording. This makes an ultra comfortable, breathable bed.

The real trick is in the legs. Since many floors aren’t flat, you need to make each leg a custom length to keep your bed level.

I wouldn’t go with a power station, they’re under powered and over priced. A house battery will be much cheaper, and much more useful & versatile. Charge it while driving via an isolator, relay, or solonoid. Some people add solar, but I haven’t needed it.

The problem with power stations is that they still need to be recharged, and it’s not unusual for them to take 6-8 hours to recharge. My house battery charges MUCH faster than that!

Fridges are expensive, unreliable, energy hogs. The propane ones are okay, but I’d skip any that also require electrical power. I got an old 3-way out of an RV for $50, and converted it to run on a liquid candle instead of propane. Now it only uses a few ounces of vegetable oil a week, and I have a large fridge and separate freezer that really keeps things frozen.

For many years I chose to just use an ice chest, they’re cheap, easy, reliable, and foolproof. A 99¢ block of ice would last me over a week, and picking up ice on my normal grocery runs was no big deal. During the hottest parts of summer, I would simply wrap it in a moving blanket to make the ice last longer.

Storage under the bed is always a great solution.

You didn’t mention climate control… To stay comfortable year round, you’ll need climate control, both heating & cooling. There are many options available. You can also get heating/cooling clothes, blankets, & seat cushions. Many will run via a USB power bank. I like to charge all of my electronics as well as my house battery when I’m driving. That makes my house battery last longer.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

1 Like

I think since you will be building the van yourself it’s probably not beyond you to conceptualize an idea or a build based on your needs and your space.

The best way to appreciate The uniqueness of your van build is to create it yourself. I recommend pulling lots of measurements from the interior space that you plan on using. Scale it appropriately on a piece of graph paper and lay it out. A good time to become an artist /designer for that matter haha . Pick out products designs and living applications that suit your needs. Place them in your drawing. Create a 3-D image. Measure your vans dimensions, Stand in the space and picture it.The beauty of this is to draw what you want and then easily erase it just the same if it does not fit your space or it’s not what you envisioned. How much storage space do you need? How much working space to get your electrical components? How much water will you be storing? Once you start putting all the pieces together in the layout you can put the infrastructure in place you need to support that. Research different products you would like to use but don’t be afraid to create your own, that’s what makes it yours.Too many people want to look like everyone else… But for me the build is really What gives me the most satisfaction, Creating something unique with your own thoughts and ideas capable of providing a comfortable living situation.

1 Like