My Van Life goals

Introduce Yourself…

Hi I’m Lisa, a 50 something van dreamer who is about to turn van goals into a reality.

I’ve finally realised the meaning of work life balance and as I love exploring and the outdoors a van is the perfect companion to maximise this passion.

I’ve spent lots of time drooling over van pages across all platforms and think I’m almost there on knowing what I would like, but maybe not fully there on what I actually need lol.

I’m looking forward to sharing this journey in this forum.

Take care
Lisa

2 Likes

Welcome! I am not a van lifer. I am a homemade tiny travel trailer owner/maker. I come here because the vanlifers really know how to maximize there small spaces, have knowledge of solar, electrical, plumbing, and everything in between! I scour vanlife videos looking at build ideas. My TTT has solar, gravity water, fold out bed, bunk bed, ac, heat. gas generator, port a potty, pop up shower, that all fits in my 6x10 TTT. All these ideas cam from vanlifers! They know what they are doing!

1 Like

Greetings & Welcome!

As a newbie, older, smaller Class C motorhomes can save you a ton of money. I’ve bought many for under $2500.

It’s a much easier transition to a MH too. Much more room, storage, & amenities. A cheap MH will also hold it’s value while a DIY project will lose half of it’s value before it’s ever completed.

Forget about any of the “cargo vans are stealthy” baloney, it’s a bold faced lie. People who try to hide are suspicious at best, while campers and tourists are typically welcomed. “Good Neighbors” don’t generally have problems. Notice all the cargo vans parked in the middle of nowhere, that’s because it’s the only place they’re “stealthy”.

Money first, everything else later. You need a stable, sustainable income to work with this lifestyle. Forget the “Just Do It & Do It Now” crowd, they’re losers who are just after your money, and they have no remorse when you wind up broke, jobless, & homeless.

Spending big money to save money is a total scam. The freedom you seek isn’t totally free, but it can and should be extremely cheap, like under $5k total for your rig and everything you need to hit the road and enjoy it. Use your MH as it was intended and don’t get conned into remodeling it, or adding solar, or expensive 12v compressor fridges etc. etc. Unmodified MH’s are worth much more than modified ones.

The way to save money starts with your vehicle purchase, not somewhere down the line MAYBE! I don’t care how much they justify the insane amounts of money they want people to spend, it’s all very bad choices that will never pay for themselves. I buy cheap, live cheaply, and bank huge amounts of money while literally living the dream. You can too!

Cheers!

"Always avoid expensive solutions to cheap problems." ~ OffGrid

1 Like

Hey Lisa!

I’m a future “Bus lifer”, I guess? While my vehicle is legally registered as a Van, but it’s actually a Shuttle Bus that was supposed to be an Ambulance which is now a Motor home. :smile:

But, I just wanted to drop in and welcome you to the community! I’ve actually been in the “Acquiring phase” (getting all the bits and pieces together for my build) for about 7 months or so and have been in build phase for the last two weeks or so (kinda, anyway).

It’s been a windy road, ups and downs, COVID and moving to my Parents, just all over the place…

But I hope to see you around the forums and look forward to seeing your progress!

- Side note-

^ If I were to be 100% honest, I wish I had listened to @Van_Dweller on this. I love my build, I really do, and some of the specifics of my build aren’t available in commercial Campers/RVs.

But… I could have been on the road 6 months ago, actually out there and traveling. Instead, I’ve been stuck in limbo, still just waiting.

2 Likes

I think you’re in a van now, so why did you give up Class C’s?

But you’re in a van now, aren’t you? I guess, with how you do it living on the street in neighborhoods where you get to know and help citizens, you no longer have a need to be stealthy, right?

Can’t remember if I’ve read where you shared it but do you live on Social Security and supplement it? Or do you work on the road? Both? I do think I’ve read where you’re online a lot and I asked a question about that. That leads me to believe that you generate a lot of income on the road.

Greetings!

I think you’re in a van now, so why did you give up Class C’s?

Over the years, I’ve bought, sold, and given away many rigs. Vans, RV’s, Buses, and even a couple of camper boats. Almost always cheap, and my conversions were usually cheap as well. My choices were often based on their prices, because I didn’t want a ton of money wrapped up in them needlessly.

For many years, I have volunteered helping the homeless. In almost every town, I would meet people who just needed a hand up, and not looking for hand outs. I take a special interest in these people, and often I can offer them the hand up they need. I can often help them secure an income, get off the streets, and work their way back to a normal life. Sometimes this includes gifting them a rig, either one I buy for them, and possibly convert, or giving them my own, and me switching rigs. If there’s any chance of difficulties with a new rig, I often give them my own to be sure they have a 100% reliable rig.

Sometimes, I will take them on the road with me. Such was the case of a lovely lady and her daughters who had just lost her husband. She was terrified to stay in a shelter, but I only had a van at that moment. I spent the afternoon adding beds to make everybody fit. It worked, but it was way too cramped to be comfortable, so I upgraded to a bunkhouse style Class C RV, and gave my van to an elderly couple. The RV made all the difference in the world space wise. I taught her how to make money both online & offline, and gave them the motorhome once they were stable enough to fly on their own, and I had had secured a new van for myself.

Even by myself, I have really enjoyed the larger rigs, but my choices usually depended upon what was readily available, and passenger vans were almost always available & cheap.

But you’re in a van now, aren’t you? I guess, with how you do it living on the street in neighborhoods where you get to know and help citizens, you no longer have a need to be stealthy, right?

Stealth is more of a myth than reality. It was started by the promoters to convince their victims to convert cargo vans rather than buy a factory camper or convert better suited vehicles. Cargo vans would cost considerably more to convert than a window van, so the promoters would make more money. For example, they made a fortune promoting expensive roof vents, and sometimes windows too. With a window van, neither are needed or desirable.

The myth has been perpetuated by all the people who made the mistake of cargo vans, and quickly discovers how miserable living in a windowless box is, and now wants to sell them. So they advertise and promote them as being stealthy.

The truth is that any unknown vehicle is suspicious, and cargo vans or anyone trying to hide, are even more suspicious. With more obvious campers, people just figure you’re visiting friends or relatives.

Except when traveling between places, I’m usually in an area for weeks or months. What’s worked the best for me is getting to know the neighbors, and being a good neighbor. By being a good neighbor, it seems like most people are willing to overlook the fact that I’m technically homeless, even if it is by my own choosing.

If I happen upon a neighborhood where I don’t feel welcome or accepted, there’s endless other neighborhoods to choose from. In a new neighborhood, I’ll typically arrive early to mid afternoon, and sit with my side doors open. Many people passing by will say HI, and some of them, especially those with dogs, will stop to chat. The dogs always seem to want to check me and my rig out, and I keep doggie treats special for them. If their dogs approve of me, they usually will too. Within a day or two, many of them will notice me picking up trash around the neighborhood and disposing of it. I’m pretty sure that helps my image.

Can’t remember if I’ve read where you shared it but do you live on Social Security and supplement it? Or do you work on the road? Both? I do think I’ve read where you’re online a lot and I asked a question about that. That leads me to believe that you generate a lot of income on the road.

I’ve been eligible for Social Security for over 10 years now, but I’ve never signed up for it, and probably never will. I make really good money working for myself since I retired from the construction industry, and am able to bank the majority of it. I enjoy what I do, and can’t imagine what I’d do to fill my time if I ever quit. As long as I can drive, and my health allows, I’m not ready to settle down. If the need arises, I plan to purchase a larger RV and park it permanently in a park.

I’ve more than replaced my normal income with hands free money making websites as a retirement plan, but still doing remote computer repairs & tuneups too. Unrelated to my income, I have been doing some caregiving for friends for the last several years. For nearly all of them, I have converted their owner run businesses to absentee owner businesses because they are no longer able to run them like they once were.

Between all of that, and my volunteer work, my life has been full, busy, happy, & rewarding. This winter I’m hoping to get some ice fishing in, and maybe some ice sailing as well.

Cheers!

“Everything should be made as simple as possible." ~ Einstein

1 Like

With your income, Social Security would probably take it all back anyway. Social Security is nothing to be excited about, except that I was thrilled that it was still around when I retired in 2019. I’m grateful to have it now. I’m working my creative skills now, mainly designing and writing, to build more income. Many opportunities out there. I’m on the computer day and night, that’s why I do need some sort of home base. Not sure that type of power computer use can be supported by my nomad life.

Yes, static income is the best. Lots of opportunities out there for the computer savvy.

I also enjoy reaching out to help the homeless and other less-fortunate, struggling persons.

You can have that ice stuff :cold_face::fish: but I’m happy that you’re happy with your life.

Greetings!

That’s the neatest thing, with the internet there are soooo many more opportunities out here than there was before. The amount of information available at our fingertips is nothing short of astonishing.

I wouldn’t always choose the frozen north for the winters, but when you have friends in need, you do what you can, and make the best with what you’ve got to work with. I often had to work in either the extreme cold or the extreme heat, so you adapt and prepare accordingly.

In the beginning, the cold was a much bigger challenge for me than the heat. Staying warm inside was no biggie, but working outside in it was a real challenge. The many layers method was too bulky to be able to work efficiently, and most of the choices available today just weren’t around back in the day. Thermo-electric clothing was a huge game changer for me.

Cheers!

[quote=“Van_Dweller, post:6, topic:5255”]
I’ve been eligible for Social Security for over 10 years now, but I’ve never signed up for it, and probably never will. I make really good money working for myself since I retired from the construction industry, and am able to bank the majority of it.[/quote]

I don’t know where people get such patently false information as this. Depending upon your total income (including SS) up to 85% of what you receive from SS may be taxed, but it is only taxed at the same rate as ordinary income.
Here’s THE FACTS on how taxation on SS income works. Benefits Planner | Income Taxes and Your Social Security Benefit | SSA

Greetings!

In my younger days, it was common to be taught that we must not rely on any assistance from anybody. While it was our responsibility to help family & friends whenever possible, we also needed to understand that help might not be available for us.

In other words, it was up to us to sink or swim on our own, and we shouldn’t rely on help from anybody. While I think safety nets are a very good thing, they are also often abused, and frequently misunderstood. I believe everybody should be in charge of their own retirement plans, and not be trapped into living on what somebody else decides for us, especially when it is clearly below the average cost of living. Social Insecurity should never be our main retirement plan.

Too many of our seniors are struggling to survive on insufficient finances. Even though our financial situations are often of our own making, I also think the system is broken. Our seniors should be able to live out their lives in comfort and free from financial stress. Maybe some day…

Cheers!

Thanks for the info and for putting a different focus on my comment.