Moving towards getting out of the 9-5

Hello, Everyone!
As I am moving forward with my plan to hit the road here in the USA at the end of summer (provided things settle down with the virus) I’m figuring certain logistics and hope y’all can help me here and there.
One of my first questions is…What type of insurance policies do full time van dwellers have??

1 Like

Definitely want to look into that insurance thing before making a purchase. If you modify a vehicle to a living space and have standard car insurance, it may actually void the insurance. Companies are pretty particular in not wanting to insure people living in their vehicles. They really don’t want to insure work that has not been done by a professional. We had to call 14 or so companies before finally getting our promaster insured as a motor home.

You could, of course just buy something that is already converted and likely have an easier time and a cheaper payment. Our policy also covers a storage unit for us which is a plus at no extra cost.

This is one thing you want to make sure you get right. You do not want to be on the hook for an entire vehicle because you cut corners or circumvented the system.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I REALLY appreciate it. :slight_smile:

Hello!

This was one of my biggest concerns, mainly due to the fact that I had 2 tickets and my Brother totaled my last car while being blacklisted on my insurance at the time.

So when I bought my vehicle (1999 Shuttle Bus), I was having a hard time finding insurance. Then I remembered reading a post that said the person (let’s call them Bob) was going to call progressive and just give them the information without saying that it was a Bus they were trying to insure, just to give it a shot in the dark and see what happened. (Regular 1-800 Progressive Number, not Commercial or Independent Agent)

Bob gave them the info, the insurance rep started putting it together, and suddenly the rep asked, “Is this for a bus”? To which Bob replied, “Yes”… Without skipping a beat the Rep continued on and got them their quote.

So when I was having a hard time, I thought I’d do the same thing. On my registration, it is technically registered as a Van, because it was professionally converted from a Van to a Shuttle Bus back in 99’. Called Progressive up, gave them the info without stating it was a Shuttle Bus, and like the previous person I too was caught. XD

He asked what type of vehicle it was because apparently it was coming up “funky” on his side. I told him it was a 99’ Ford Van that was professionally converted into a Shuttle Bus that I was now converting into a Motor Home, and on he went! In the end, my insurance was quoted at $150… FOR THE YEAR! (Policy was for Florida State Minimum Coverage)

He asked if I had all the “technicals” installed that are required for it to be considered a “motor home”, to which I replied that it did. After that it was cake honestly, I didn’t even end up having to go back and register it as a Motorhome with the DMV because the insurance took it as it was.

So from all my research and my own personal experience, (which is limited to internet research and this instance only, just to be transparent), the most advantageous thing to do is go the “motor home” route. The requirements are minimal to qualify,

• Sleeping Accommodations
    (A sleeping bag will do)
  • Seats & Table
    (A fold up table and fold up chairs will do)
  • Plumbing / Sink / Access to Water
    (A bucket counts as a sink)
  • Cooking
    (Propane Stove Top will do)

– Side Note –
I’ve read that in different areas you might have different requirements, so it’s important to look up your local area information.

Here is a link to a nice little guide as well
How to register your converted van as a camper van – The Road Is Our Home

I hope some of this helps, I spent a good while researching stuff like this and this is the best I came up with. But as I noted before, please keep in mind that I am in my building phase and my current level of real-world experience (being on the road and living in the vehicle) is zilch, nada, zero, zip.

So please make sure to take this help with a grain of salt. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks and good luck with your build!!

1 Like

Greetings!

I just have standard liability insurance, and my real insurance policy is an emergency fund large enough to replace everything and live on for at least 6 months.

Cheers!

"Stay home, stay safe, and remember social distancing." ~ Van_Dweller

2 Likes

Greetings!

The next problem is that insurance companies will look for any little reason to not pay out, and vandwellers often get screwed out of a settlement. This is why my insurance is minimal just to make it legal, and my emergency fund is my “REAL” insurance policy.

Cheers!

2 Likes

That was my thought too Van_Dweller, was that with my insurance being $150 a year they aren’t going to be paying nada for nothin’, haha.

So I was planning the same, got the insurance just for being “legal on the road”, but anything else that pops up is gonna be on me.

1 Like

Smart. Good luck out there!

I read somewhere that if you have a physical address…renters insurance will cover personal belongings in van. Idk…:/. Need to look into that a little more.

Stay safe out there!

1 Like

Greetings!

To date I haven’t heard from anyone who has collected from renters insurance, but dozens have claimed they were denied.

Cheers!

Ah… so wasted money. Sounds like your insurance policy is the way to go. Thanks!

1 Like