Mountain Driving

Is there anything I should take into consideration regarding which van I buy if I’m planning to spend summers at elevated heights? (The mountains of Wyoming, Montana, Idaho.) 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, RWD/FWD, etc…?

Greetings!

I’m not sure it really matters. My van is a 1 ton, RWD, but has reasonable ground clearance (stock). The biggest thing to me is just being able to keep up with traffic, even in the mountains. Off the highway, I think your driving expertise makes a bigger difference than your vehicle.

Any vehicle will have their own advantages and disadvantages, so I always suggest trying to find a vehicle that fits your needs the best. A pro’s & con’s list of different vehicles could be helpful.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller

There is a 2016 Dually MB Sprinter 3500 in Aurora, CO for sale right now that I have my eye on. That would be perfect for what you’re doing.

Thanks for the recommendation! Personally, I’ve decided to stay away from diesel completely. The expensive repairs alone are enough to disqualify it for me. Thanks again!

@Van_Dweller - I’ve definitely been keeping a list of pros and cons. It’s quite a long list since I keep adding categories to consider. All I can do is keep listing.

Do you write off diesel even in a new vehicle? I’m having a hard time deciding between the two. Im looking at both a new gas and diesel sprinter.

Greetings!

I have heard rumors that multiple countries are considering banning diesels for personal use, and phasing them out for commercial use because of all the pollution they cause.

The triple plus cost of diesel ownership over a comparable gas vehicle is enough of an incentive that I never will own another one. By the time you figure the added costs of more expensive repairs and maintenance, even considering the slightly better gas mileage, diesel’s still lose cost wise.

Cheers!

"Be the reason someone smiles today!" ~ Van_Dweller