Mexico insurance

Hi vanlifers,

I’m still trying to find more information about travelling into Mexico, Baja on a foreign plated vehicle. I plan to drive south in the next few weeks and was wondering about other people’s experiences. It appears after a little research I can obtain a tourist card in Ensenada for a six month stay. Now I have to figure out how to deal with the van. It seems as a Canadian vehicle, more than 10yrs old I can’t register it and get Mexican plates. Therefore, I’m thinking to extend my Canadian insurance and also get third party insurance for the six months in Mexico.

Does anybody out there have experience of this issue? Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

5 Likes

Mexican Tourist Cards (FMM) - Super important to get. US and CAN citizens.

Mexican Tourist Cards (FMM) - Baja Bound Mexican Insurance

(TIP) (Temporary Import Permit) not required for Baja but needed for anywhere else traveling in Mexico

Vehicle Import Permits for Mexico - Baja Bound Mexican Insurance

3rd Party Mexican insurance is also critical to have. We like “Lewis & Lewis” but “Baja Bound” is also great! Mexican liability only insurance can be had for around $100+ with $500,000 coverage and lasts for up to a year.

We have Progressive an insurance carrier and they offer comprehensive coverage for our vehicle and us in Mexico. Have them check with their insurance provider.

Good luck, and if they’re curious we did a blog post about our trip to go see Gray Whales during calving season:

https://ubuthevan.com/2018/10/27/whales-part-1-baja

2 Likes

Check out mexpro .com there you can find more info and purchase insurance from them

2 Likes

Just promoted you!

You can edit your post and add relevant links now…
We have this system in place to prevent spammers from coming on the forum just for their own benefit. But you’re clearly here to help :slight_smile:

More info about our trust level system can be found here

2 Likes

Thanks a million! I will digest all this information and get back at you. Looks like you covered everything. Much appreciated.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated, I will take a look and get back to you. Happy travels!

2 Likes

i used baja bound for mexican insurance on my rig. check in with them. very helpful
https://www.bajabound.com/?gclid=EAIaIQo…gIc6PD_BwE

your native insurance wont keep you out of trouble in mexico.

1 Like